This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

If I’m grateful for anything that’s come out of the pandemic, it’s my relationship to exercise. Prior to quarantine, I was doing the same robotic workouts everyday, simply going through the motions with a “get it done” mindset. I wasn’t working out because I wanted to, I was working out because I felt like I had to. Now, I can confidently say that most days, I am excited to work out. Maybe you’re one of those lucky people that has always loved exercise, but if not, I know exactly how you feel. I’m going over a few tips that will hopefully help you in your rocky relationship to fitness.

You don’t need the gym to have a good workout.

I’ve never been a fan of the gym. No matter how hard I try, I always find it slightly intimidating and slightly dirty. I definitely still go sometimes to switch things up, but it is 100% possible to do all your workouts from your bedroom. There are so many workouts out there where you don’t need a lot of space or equipment, plus you save time without a workout commute.

There is no need to spend a ton of money on fitness, but spending a little actually helps. 

I used to do Pure Barre and loved it, but the price was not realistic as a college student. Though there are tons of amazing free workouts online, I’ve found that when I’m paying for it, I’m more motivated to work out. Think of it as investing in your health, or in self-care. If money is involved, you won’t want to waste it. Currently, I’m doing Obe Fitness, which is only $29/month. If I do five workouts each week, that’s only $1.50 per class! I’ve also invested in some light weights and resistance bands, because while there are many workouts without equipment, having these basic things really broadens the types of workouts I can do. 

Try every single workout you find, even if you don’t think you’ll like it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/16114511155753708/?nic_v2=1a4icdnoe&&&hide-caption=yes

During the pandemic I subscribed to every free trial I possibly could, went through all the famous fitness youtubers, and even scrolled through at-home workouts on social media. Did I do a few workouts I hated? Absolutely. I did, however, find a few types of workouts I never expected to love that are now my go-tos (I’m looking at you, cardio boxing).

For my ladies, start working out according to your cycle.

Your energy levels are directly related to your menstrual cycle and will affect your progress, so use this to your advantage! Mid-cycle is the best time to push yourself, as your energy is high and you can handle an intense workout. Right before your period starts, called the luteal phase, is the best for strength training and flexibility. When you’re on your period, it is perfectly okay to just walk, do some yoga, or even rest, as this is much better, not to mention safer, on your body. During your follicular phase, right after your period ends, you can kick back into gear with light cardio or a fun exercise you really enjoy.

Stop doing the same workout over and over.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4574037110500276/?nic_v2=1a4icdnoe&&&hide-caption=yes

If you’re like me and you get bored easily, it’s so important to vary your workout routine. It’s perfectly okay to have a few things you love doing, but if you monotonously do 30 minutes on the elliptical and then 10 minutes of abs, you will definitely hate your workout. There are so many online follow-along classes that you could probably never repeat the same one. In addition, Pinterest has tons of circuit suggestions to do on a machine, outside, or even in your tiny apartment. Once you start learning the different exercises you like, you can put them together in different variations so no two are ever the same. 

Do not exercise if your body, or your mind, is telling you no.

Rest days are perfectly okay, in fact, they’re encouraged. Depending on your fitness goals, you can make progress with as little as three workouts per week. Some weeks you might feel great and exercise a lot, but the next week you might need to take it easy. The important thing is that you listen to what your body is telling you; you guys are on the same side. If you had planned to do cardio but wake up and really don’t want to, opt for something else. Forcing yourself to do something you don’t want to do is where that negative relationship takes hold.

Find your “why.”

This one is probably the hardest, but the most important. It’s critical to have a “why” when you are working out to remind yourself when things get tough or you feel unmotivated. However, if your “why” is tied to a physical goal, you will only feel frustrated. Stop working out to burn calories, or because you went out to dinner last night, or because you ate pizza at 3am; and please, please stop working out because you want to impress someone else. The only person you owe your fitness to, is you. Work out to feel strong, to be more productive, to gain confidence. Not everyone will agree with me here, but I believe you that working out to tone or shrink your body is damaging. Show up for yourself, with a mindset of feeling good and being healthy, and those physical things will matter less and less. You’ll be much happier and more successful this way, I promise.

A few final thoughts: if you are just getting into a fitness routine, take it slow. Don’t be discouraged if it takes you a little while to find your groove. Secondly, don’t ever expect to be perfect. I still have weeks where I struggle with all of these things, but the goal is to have more good days than bad. Lastly, remember that comparison is the enemy, it’s okay if your exercise routine looks different than your friends’. The most important thing is that you are moving your body for you, in a way that makes you feel amazing.

Katie is a Junior Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State with a minor in marketing. Katie is involved in multiple organizations on campus and has a special interest in social media and visual merchandising. She plans to graduate in December of 2021 and hopes to pursue a career in which she can utilize her creative writing skills and conscientious work ethic.