This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The world is crazy and a mess right now and that can cause a lot of stress, anxiety, and even depression. I know that with my classes being online I have been extremely stressed and overwhelmed. Below I have listed ten different ways to better your mental health, so that everyone can relax at least a little bit.

Journal

Write a daily journal entry about your day or a weekly journal about your week. Write about both the good things and bad things but remember that no matter how bad your day or week was it’s the good things that matter most. Journaling can help both your memory and your mental health.

Listen to Calm and Relaxing Music

Listen to calm/relaxing music to help you fall asleep and/or focus better. Listen to it in the morning to make you feel calm and good about the day. Listen in the evening to relax after a long day.

Punch a Pillow

Maybe you just need to take out some anger, so my suggestion is to punch a pillow. Why you might ask because it is soft and it’s not alive or breakable. Therefore, you won’t hurt yourself or someone/something else.

Use Essential Oils 

Some essential oils are really good for helping you to calm and relax, like lavender and/or chamomile. You can put them in your bath, in a diffuser, or put them on during a massage.

Digital Detox

I know that sitting at home can be pretty boring and it makes it hard to stay off the devices but taking a break from your screens can make you feel 10x better than before. Try reading a book, organizing your room, painting your nails, drawing, or writing instead.

Organize/Clean your Room

Speaking of organizing your room, that reminds me just how much that can help your mental health. Having a messy room can stress you out and make you feel terrible, however after cleaning up even a little bit you can feel accomplished.

Breathe Deeply

Take some time throughout the day to sit down, relax, and take some nice long, deep breaths to help you relax.

Walk in Nature

Take a walk outside in a park. Take that time to breathe in some fresh air and listen to the calming sounds of nature.

Laugh

Watch/listen to a comedian. Read some jokes or a funny book. Watch some funny movies, shows, or videos.

Nutrition and Hydration

Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water. Stay healthy, eat plenty of fruits and veggies.

All of these are simple, yet effective ways for improving your mental and physical health. I hope that some of these can help you relax a little bit and help you feel a little bit better.

Nastassja Ott

Illinois State '22

Junior at Illinois State University Early Childhood Education Major I love reading, writing, drawing, and coloring in my free time
Contributor account for Illinois State