This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Finding ways to cope with stress is hard to do alone. Many of us have experienced times where we feel overwhelmed or anxious about something. Whether it be about school, family, friends, or your relationship, you can always rely on these apps to help you feel grounded.

1. Headspace

This app will help listeners feel relieved of anxiety through guided meditations and mindful activities. If you’ve never done a guided meditation before, that’s okay! There’s a “Basics course” available to try for free to get you started. There’s also a collection of guided meditations that will fit your needs for the moment. If you are feeling guilty about something you have done, you could have a listen to the “Dealing With Regret” course. Have trouble falling asleep? Headspace provides a guided mediation that will help you drift off into sleep. The app is free, but you also have the option of upgrading to Headspace Plus for $12.99 monthly or $69.99 annually if you’re looking for a better variety of meditations.

2. Mindshift

To help you better manage stress and be more conscious of your emotions, Mindshift provides its users with various tools such as Coping Cards and Belief Experiments. When you’re experiencing anxiety and don’t know what may have triggered it, it describes forms of anxiety that you may be experiencing so you can identify which one you are feeling. The app provides users with specific situations that may have caused their anxiety. If you were experiencing social anxiety, Mindshift has examples such as Social Events and Public Speaking situations that may have caused this. Tips are provided based on which type of anxiety you are experiencing to better relieve yourself. There are also Check-In’s you may use to keep track of your mood patterns. You can rate your anxiety for the day 1-10, journal what is on your mind, and add symptoms of your anxiety. This app is free to use for everyone and is a great resource to have on your phone.

3. Calm

With Calm, you will get personalized recommendations for meditations that best suit your needs. In the app, you view nature backgrounds with serene music while you browse through sleep stories, mental fitness videos, or soundscapes. Some celebrities, such as Lebron James, are featured as speakers for sleep stories and wisdom videos. You can journal your mood at the Check-In’s and you will receive recommendations once you finish your check-in. There are sleep mixes for you to listen to before bed that remix your favorite songs. There is a free version of the app, but if you want access to the many different resources they provide, it will cost $69.99 annually.

4. Reflectly

If you find journaling especially helpful, I would definitely suggest downloading Reflectly. This app will help you understand what influences your mood throughout the day. By describing a situation that caused a change in your mood, you are able to identify what triggers your mood. There are also inspirational quotes for users to read when they are needing reassurance and validation. Short prompts also allow the user to answer different questions, whether it be a fill-in-the-blank about your favorite pair of shoes or your most memorable childhood memory. The app encourages users to try the Daily Challenges, such as drawing a picture of themselves. This app is free, but you can also purchase The Growth Bundle for $99.99 annually which includes premium access to Reflectly and five other applications that promote mental health practices!

5. #SELFcare

Using cute icons and a calming atmosphere, #Selfcare is an app to visit when you need to let your mind chill out. Inside the app is a virtual bedroom to be used as a safer space to come to every so often. You are able to explore the room and play little games that promote your well-being in the real world. This app could be used as an escape when you don’t have the motivation or energy to do things. If you feel mentally drained and feel overwhelmed by the amount of work you have to do, I suggest you visit the #Selfcare app.

It’s hard to balance school, work and social life. That’s why it is so important that we take care of our mental well-being! At times when you feel distressed, you should utilize these easily accessible resources that are specifically designed to better your mental health.

Kailyn Coleman

Illinois State '23

Hey guys! I am a Senior at Illinois State studying to become a Speech Language Pathologist! I love to meet new people, travel, and visit local small businesses :)