This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As a college student, the pressures of balancing academic workloads, extracurricular activities and maintaining social relationships can be overwhelming. Many students are constantly searching for ways to improve their overall wellbeing and enhance their quality of life. One approach that has gained popularity in recent years is holistic living. Holistic living emphasizes the interconnectedness of mind, body, and spirit, and aims to achieve balance and harmony in all areas of life. Together, we will explore the benefits of holistic living and discuss how you can incorporate it into your life.

kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Holistic living offers a multitude of benefits that can improve your physical, mental and emotional health. Four benefits include:

1. Improved physical health: Holistic living promotes a healthy lifestyle by emphasizing the importance of exercise, proper nutrition and adequate rest. By incorporating these habits into your routine, you can boost your immune system, reduce the risk of chronic diseases and improve your overall physical wellbeing.
  2. Reduced stress and anxiety: Holistic living recognizes that stress and anxiety can impact all areas of life. By practicing relaxation techniques, such as meditation or yoga, you can reduce your stress levels and promote a sense of calm and peace.
  3. Enhanced mental clarity: Holistic living encourages individuals to engage in activities that stimulate their minds, such as reading, journaling, or learning new skills. By doing so, you can improve your cognitive function and enhance your ability to focus and concentrate.
  4. Improved Relationships: Holistic living emphasizes the importance of healthy relationships and encourages individuals to build strong connections with others. By fostering positive relationships, you can reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation and increase your overall sense of wellbeing.

If you’re interested in incorporating holistic living into your life as a beginner, we found these tips to be extremely helpful when starting, especially as a college student:

1. Start with small changes: Holistic living is all about making small changes that can have a big impact over time. Start by incorporating one new habit into your routine, such as going for a walk every day or incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet. As you become more comfortable with these changes, you can gradually add more. This is a tip explained in the book “Atomic Habits,” by James Clear.
    2. Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is the practice of being present and fully engaged in the current moment. By practicing mindfulness, you can reduce stress and anxiety, improve your mental clarity and increase your overall sense of wellbeing. You can practice mindfulness through activities such as meditation, yoga, or simply taking a few deep breaths throughout the day. One favorable technique is called the humming breath.
    3. Prioritize sleep: Adequate rest is crucial to maintaining overall health and wellbeing. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night and establish a consistent sleep routine to improve the quality of your rest. It’s actually extremely important for our brains to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.
    4. Connect with others: Building positive relationships with others is an essential component of holistic living. Take the time to connect with friends and family members, and consider joining a group or club that aligns with your interests and values.
    5. Embrace nature: Spending time in nature can have a significant impact on your overall well being. Take a walk in a local park, go for a hike, or simply spend some time outside in the sun to reap the benefits of being in nature.

In Conclusion, holistic living offers a unique approach to improving overall health and wellbeing by emphasizing the interconnectedness of mind, body and spirit. By incorporating small changes into your routine, practicing mindfulness, prioritizing sleep, building positive relationships and embracing nature, you can begin to experience the many benefits of holistic living as a beginner. Remember, the key to success is to start small and gradually build upon your successes over time!

Maggie is a senior at Hofstra University in New York. She is majoring in public relations and has minors in design and journalism. She loves to write, share her opinions with the world and is eager help build her experience in any way she can.