This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Everyone has heard that drinking water is good for you, but most people tend to brush it off and continue to drink soda and other sugary drinks every day. Water might not have a great flavor when there are other drinks available, but the impact that it can have on your health is astounding. I am one of those people who only drink water and I am a firm believer in all of the health benefits that it provides and I am going to share those with you.

1. Relieves Fatigue

A post shared by GO (@thegolife) on

I do not drink coffee or tea, therefore, I mainly rely on water to provide me with energy in the morning. The brain is mostly made up of water so when water is consumed it helps to increase concentration, memory, and energy. It is recommended to drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up because your body becomes dehydrated overnight and it is essential to replenish the water lost.

2. Gets Rid of Toxins

Water is an essential part of getting rid of the toxins in your body and providing a healthy system. Water is able to increase urination and sweat, which gets rid of the toxins stored in your body and decrease the risk of kidney stones and urinary tract infections.

3. Gets Rid Of Acne

A post shared by Mielle Skin (@mielleskin) on

One of the main reasons I only drink water is to maintain a good skin complexion. Water is able to moisturize your skin making it both smooth, soft, plump, and wrinkle-free. It is not just a cup of water that is going to miraculously cure your acne problems, but over time you will notice an improvement in the quality of your skin.

4. Aids in Weight Loss

While drinking water is not a magic cure for weight loss, it does have the potential to make you feel fuller, thus making you eat less and lose weight over time. The calories saved from swapping out soda or a frappuccino with water, if done consistently, can also aid in weight loss.

5. Maintain Regularity

A post shared by Mary-s (@marryjane1225) on

Water can also aid in maintaining regularity in terms of bowel movements and digestion. Water helps to keep things moving in your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation. Having a healthy amount of both water and fiber in your diet will improve your digestive health tremendously.

Now stop reading this and go get yourself a glass of water!

My name is Casey and I am a freshman journalism major at Hofstra University. I am interested in pop culture and the entertainment industry and hope one day to be working at a magazine or entertainment outlet. I enjoy going to concerts, creating YouTube videos for my channel YouTube.com/CelebrityHauteSpot, and baking delicious treats.