This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Going to the gym is scary. It’s is full of people who seemingly know what they’re doing-like athletes who are athletic, absolutely terrifying. Exercise should be a part of our daily lives but it can be intimidating to put that goal intro fruition. To help, here are some tips from one shy gym goer to another.

Go when it’s not busy.

Early in the morning and late evening, the gym is pretty vacant. Sunday mornings are another good bet for an empty gym. At Gustavus, Lund tends to also be pretty empty from 1:00 and 2:00. Avoid 4:00 and before dinner time.

Try the non-threatening equipment 

The elliptical and stationary bike are probably the least scary. With the elliptical, there’s no running involved, but it still provides the same full body movement that running would. The elliptical is my personal favorite because it’s pretty hard to use this machine wrong. Once you get your workout under way, it’s easy to control your speed.

The stationary bike is a good second option. It’s less involved physically but still allows for a nice workout. It’s just like a regular bike and most people can ride a bike- especially if it’s one that doesn’t actually move. Just peddle and you’ll be fine. And you’re SITTING! You can’t fall off this bike.

Go with a friend.

Everything is less scary with a friend. Get a workout buddy and try something new. You can make your work out fun and less intimidating. You can be more adventurous with your workout if you feel more confident. It’s also nice to have someone to motivate you.

Try a less conventional workout

Try swimming, rowing, yoga-  you could join the Swing club at Gustavus and try dancing. Exercise doesn’t have to be the same old thing every time, as long as you get moving. Try an exercise class- there are plenty at Gustavus. There’s usually one scheduled on the daily email. Find what works for you.

Find something to make the time go faster

If you’re using the elliptical, stationary bike, or just walking on the treadmill, use that time to catch up on your favorite show or listen to the album you’ve been meaning to listen to. Write a Her Campus article- I wrote this one while working out.

Remember why you’re doing this in the first place

When you’re feeling awkward, just remember why you wanted to work out. Healthy habits you start now will stay with you throughout your life. Remember that you’re doing this to be healthy. Do it for your joints and arteries- it’ll be worth it. Besides, it feels really good after you’ve finished a workout.

Keep these tips in mind the next time you go work out to make your gym experience a little less scary.