6 Ways to Build a Better Butt & Tone Your Thighs

Welcome to your one stop shop regarding everything health and fitness. Weekly to bi-weekly, “Training with Tara” will support our readers’ needs of fitness inspiration, workout guides, healthy meals and more. So don’t be afraid to send in requests for next week’s column; we’ll be glad to accommodate.

To some, the idea of getting that rounded booty is impossible. They believe their backside will stay the way it is due to genetics and that there is no chance to change it from its flatter state—but I’m here to tell you that’s wrong! Your body is an amazing thing and, with proper training, it can transform itself into a stronger “you.” With these simple exercises and a balanced diet, you should have a better booty and toner thighs in no time.

1. Goblet Squat

Grabbing a kettlebell (or a dumbbell if your gym doesn’t supply the latter) hold it close to your chest. Standing with your feet wider than hips lengths apart, place your feet out about 45 degrees. When bringing yourself down, make sure to keep your back straight and check that your knees aren’t going over your toes.

If you suffer from lower back problems, try avoiding a butt wink. This refers to the moment at the bottom of the squat when your pelvis starts to rotate down and under your body. A way to avoid this is by squatting in front of a bench and using it as a reference point of knowing how low to squat.

Courtesy: Body Building

2. Plie Squat with Optional Calf Extensions

Similar to a goblet squat, you will begin in a wide stance with your feet placed out at about 45 degrees. Without the use of a weight, you will lower yourself down, channeling your inner thighs and, when you press yourself back up, push yourself off the heel of your feet onto your toes. By doing this, you will be including a calf extension.

3. Curtsy Squat

Grab a set of weights and stand with your feet shoulder width apart. While holding the weights down beside you, cross your right foot behind your body so your inner legs will be touching. Once there, lower yourself until your knee is bent 90 degrees, making sure your knee is not going over your toes. Lift yourself back up and do the same with your other side.

4. Hip Bridge with Step Out

Lay on your back and have your knees bent in front of you with your feet placed on the floor. Having your feet hip width apart, lift yourself off the mat leading with your pelvis along with having your upper back and shoulders still secured on the mat. Once completely lifted and your feet still placed on the mat, move your thighs outwards and back in before lowering yourself back onto the floor. If you prefer to do so, you can utilize bands for this exercise by placing them around your thighs, creating resistance when you push them apart.

5. Inner Thigh Lift

While staying on the mat, you will turn on to your side and keep your hips stacked. Placing your upper leg over your lower leg and securing it onto the floor, place your upper arm over your body to stable yourself. Keep your neck neutral by laying it on your lower arm and raise your lower leg, channeling your inner thigh

6. Elevated Burpee with Sumo Squat

This exercise might require a bit more space. I used a bench for elevation, but if you don’t feel comfortable with this, you can start off from the floor. I also used a folded floor mat for cushion for my hand and guidance of where to place my feet when I go from plank to squat.

Starting in a plank position, make sure your arms are in line with your hands. Lower yourself down into a pushup and back up. Then jump off the bench into a wide stance sumo squat. Being mindful of your knees not going over your toes, lift yourself up into a jump before you lower yourself back on the floor with your feet back on the bench.

Using a free app like GymBoss, you can easily keep track and time your sets. For this workout, you will be doing each exercise twice for 45 seconds with 15-second breaks in between. Once one round is complete, take a minutes rest and hydrate. Do five more rounds.

For more workout, healthy recipes, and more check out @TrainingWithTara on Instagram. 

Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.