This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

It’s easy – especially in the world we live in now – for us to spend most of our lives giving all of our time away to other people and other things. University emails are just a click away and with them comes stress, deadlines and pressure. Articles about politics crop up on our social media profiles whether we want to see them or not. People can contact us 24/7, and all too often it can be really hard to say “no”.

Sometimes it can be easy to tell when you need to take a day for yourself, but other times it can be slightly trickier. When you’re feeling exhausted, stressed and downright miserable, that can mean it’s time to be a little bit selfish and take a day entirely for yourself. Here are some tips for how to recharge!

1. Allow yourself a lie-in

A lot of people probably don’t realise the effect a lack of sleep can have on your body and, in turn, your mind. Not only that, but broken sleep is just as a bad. Getting six hours of interrupted sleep when you’re waking up 20 or 30 times can make you just as tired as only getting two hours.

Consider getting an app that tracks your sleep to improve your sleeping pattern in the long run. There are plenty of apps available for both Apple and android phones and they often track the quality of sleep you’re getting, as well as waking you up at the best time within a 30-minute window to ensure you’re being woken up at the optimum point in your sleep cycle. Let yourself have a lie-in!

2. Consider turning off social media – even if just for a few hours!

It can be easy to look at pictures on Instagram and wish that it was you lying by a hotel pool in Barbados. But here’s the thing: you’re not. And that doesn’t matter. At best, social media helps us keep track of what our friends and family are doing. At worst, it stops us from appreciating the moment we are in: the here and now. You don’t have to go cold turkey or delete all your apps, but just not checking them for a little while can stop you from getting involved in everyone else’s hassle. It can make you take more notice of the important things in the present, like the hot cup of tea that’s sitting in front of you about to go cold…

3. Make comfort a priority

Hot water bottles aren’t just for stomach-aches y’know. We often associate comfort with physical warmth, so go grab your fluffiest socks and blankets and wrap yourself up like a cinnamon roll. Whilst you’re at it, light some candles and put on your favourite TV programme, or listen to an album on Spotify.  Make your comfort a top priority.

4. Balance eating right with eating good

I think we can all hold our hands up right now and admit that super healthy food doesn’t always taste the best (anyone else really not part of the kale fan club?) even if it’s good for you. Like with everything else in life, moderation is generally the best way forward. Make sure you have good, balanced meals (especially when you’re trying to take care of your mental health, low blood sugar isn’t doing anyone any favours) but don’t try to deny yourself the things you really want. Craving red velvet cupcakes? Go bake some. Eat one, or two, or however many you want to. The world isn’t going to end, I promise.

5. Plan something relaxed with friends

If you’re the type who gets anxious or lonely when by yourself for long periods of time, plan something with friends for part of the day. It doesn’t need to be anything big or expensive and it certainly doesn’t need to be anything that will take up hours of your time – the point of a mental health day is to dedicate time to you!

If the reason you’re planning a mental health day is that you feel like you’re giving too much of your time to other people then feel free to skip this step, but sometimes it can be hard to truly enjoy your alone time if it ends up feeling too isolating. If you plan something for just a small part of the day with friends, then at least you know that when you have a few hours to yourself in the afternoon or evening you can appreciate them without feeling lonely. Even something as simple as going to a coffee shop with a friend or two can remind you that the outside world is still there, and that you are very much a part of it.

6. Devote time to hobbies

We all have plenty of unfinished side-projects on the back-burner that just don’t get a look in when work, stress and socialising take priority. Dedicate some time to finishing that painting, or working on that half-finished novel sitting on your hard-drive. There’s nothing wrong with doing a bit of work on a mental health day if that’s what will make you feel better – catching up on some work whilst you have plenty of time can definitely stop you getting stressed in the long run.

However, try not to get anxious or stressed about work and instead focus time on something you actually enjoy doing. Your essays will still be there when you get back. Use this day for whatever you want to do!

Libby Foot

Exeter Cornwall