stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Exercise Without Setting Foot In The Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

The gym is a brilliant place (honestly!), but it’s not for everyone – maybe it’s the price of membership, the intimidatingly huge men in tiny shorts or just the effort of getting there. Whatever the reason, there are plenty of ways to exercise that don’t involve going to the gym. Exercise is great for you physically, as well as being great for relieving stress, boosting your self-confidence and generally helping your mental well-being, so hopefully some of these suggestions work for you!

1. Join a club or team

If you’re interested in a particular sport, why not join a local team or club? Not only will it be fun but you’ll get to make new friends, and being part of a group sport means you’ll be less likely to skip a session. Group sport is a great way to socialise if, like me, you’re shy and find new people a bit scary; you won’t be talking constantly because a lot of the time you’ll be concentrating on the sport so you can take things at your own pace. If you’re a social butterfly then it’s a brilliant way to meet lots of people with a shared interest at once! Being part of a team really pushes you to put in all your effort and try your absolute hardest even if you’re running out of energy by the end of practice – a bit of friendly competition can be the perfect motivation.

2. Go for a walk

Walking doesn’t always feel like ‘proper’ exercise but it has a lot of health benefits and gets you out in the fresh air, with the potential for some beautiful scenery. If you don’t want to go full-on cardio, don’t like getting sweaty, or just want something relaxed then going for a chilled but purposeful walk is probably for you. Get some music playing, breathe deeply, clear your head and appreciate what an amazing part of the world we’re in. Some days you might want the time on your own, but walking also has the benefit of leaving you with enough breath to have a chat if a friend comes with you.

3. Jog or Run

I know, I know; to lots of people, going running is about as appealing as going to the gym. I was once one of those people who looked at someone out running and wondered why they were putting themselves through hell. Now, however, there are actually days where I feel like I need to get my trainers on and go running. I still dislike the physical act of dragging my whole body around at anything above a walk, but something about running calms me down and makes me feel more human, and it gives me some time to either think about things that are bothering me or not think at all. Running outside has several advantages; you get to look at some pretty views instead of the same view out of the gym window, you get to breathe in fresh air instead of other people’s sweat, and when you’re finished you can dash inside and straight to the shower without anyone seeing your post-run face and hair.

Once you’ve got over the ‘I hate this, this is the worst thing I’ve ever done, why am I running?’ stage, you could sign up for a local 5k or sponsored run. It’s a great way to stay motivated, and seeing that other people run at the same speed as you is comforting if you sometimes feel like the slowest person in the world (I get it).

4. Yoga

I found out the hard way that yoga is not as easy as it looks – yes it’s serene and slow but it’s still hard work. You could find a class nearby, go to the beach or just get a yoga mat for your room. It’s great for relieving tension and stress, and works on your balance, strength and flexibility. The Youtube channel Yoga with Adriene is a good place to start; she has over 200 videos with some specially designed for beginners as well as for people with back pain, stress and a number of other issues.

5. Facebook challenges and Instagram

Like me, you might use social media as a way to procrastinate and avoid exercising, but why not turn things around and use it to help you? There are always ‘challenges’ on the go on Facebook where people sign up to complete a set of exercises every day for a month. Knowing that other people are going through the same pain as you is something of a comfort.

There are hundreds of fitness accounts on Instagram that post videos of exercises you can try – you can either have a browse and put together a workout to do in your room every morning, or just scroll as you go and try something new every time.

6. YouTube and fitness videos

While we’re on the subject of the internet, YouTube is definitely worth a mention. It’s full of workouts, Zumba routines, info on what you should be eating and great exercise playlists. My personal favourite is a channel called The Fitness Marshall. His videos are labelled as ‘hip hop cardio’ – they’re like Zumba but with 10 times the sass and they are so much fun. This guy’s enthusiasm is infectious and I am seriously jealous of how well he can move his hips. On my own in my room, I can let out my inner dancing queen without judgement, and I always finish a routine bright red but smiling.

If you search for fitness DVDs on Amazon you’re sure to find one that suits you. There are whole body workouts, ones to specifically target bums/legs/abs, super intense workouts and more gentle fun ones. Following someone who knows what they’re doing is a lot easier than trying to put together a workout on your own, and once you’ve committed to finishing a video it’s harder to duck out. 

7. Cycle

If you own a bike, use it! Cycle to uni instead of driving or getting the bus if you feel up to braving the hills; you’ll be doing a whole load of toning and saving the planet at the same time! If you don’t fancy that, go out for a cycle in your spare time – take some friends, a Frisbee and some snacks and go on an adventure. If you don’t have a car, cycling is a brilliant way of exploring the places you can’t get to on the limited bus routes.

8. Buy some equipment

You don’t need to replace the gym by building your own one, but buying a few bits of exercise equipment will make your home workouts more interesting and potentially more effective. I bought a skipping rope and a weighted hula hoop and love them both; it’s just like being back in the school playground! Things like resistance bands, ankle weights and dumbbells are good options if you’re getting into a routine and want to move up from bodyweight exercises, and can all be found on the internet for pretty reasonable prices.

Just a quick word of warning: sometimes it’s worth paying a couple more pounds for a slightly better version of something. I bought the cheapest skipping rope I could find and ended up with the handle flying off into my fish pond over Easter. Always check the reviews.

9. Play video games!

If you own a Wii or an Xbox Kinect, you have access to exercise that doesn’t feel like exercise. Get some friends round and boot up Just Dance and you’ll be getting fit without realising it – just make sure your wrist strap is tight when you’re really getting into those moves! There’s also WiiFit which tracks your weight and lets you log ‘real life’ exercise, but really anything that gets you moving will work.

10. Get yourself to the ocean

We live in a beautiful coastal town with access to a gorgeous part of the sea, so make the most of it! Try sea swimming or surfing, just make sure you have a wetsuit because the water is not warm. Swimming is ideal if you don’t want to put pressure on your joints because you’re supported by the water. If you’re not confident enough to go straight into the sea, try a few sessions in a pool first. Surfing will build up your strength and balance, and once you’ve mastered it you’ll look seriously cool. There are also classes available like stand up paddleboard yoga if you’re feeling adventurous.

So there you go; ten ways to exercise without setting foot in the gym. The weather’s finally improving so get out there and have fun while it lasts! Whatever you choose to do, look after yourself and take things at your own pace: all hardcore gym goers had to start somewhere!

Victoria Williams

Exeter Cornwall

Hi! I'm Vicky, I'm 21 and I'm a third year Evolutionary Biology student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus. When I'm not learning about the weird ways animals reproduce you'll probably find me wrapped in a blanket with a book and a whole packet of custard creams.