5 Apps to Help You Reach Your Fitness Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The gym can be a major source of anxiety, especially if you are not as athletically inclined as your peers. As if finding motivation to work out was not already difficult, convincing yourself to head into a gym full of ‘fitstagrammers’ and athletes can be nearly impossible. Trying new machines and scoping out the weights section for the first time can also be a nerve-wracking experience, particularly when you don’t have a routine. Here are 5 apps that can empower you to walk into the gym with confidence and can even make working out…*GASP*… fun!

1. Aaptiv

There are hundreds of classes with personal trainers ready to guide you through the ultimate work out. You can take classes from multiple categories, such as “Outdoor Running,” “Yoga,” “Strength Training,” and even “Meditation.” All you have to do is choose your level, duration, and music style and then the trainer takes it from there. With perfectly timed music, clear instructions, and plenty of encouragement this app is well worth the $9.99/month subscription!

Photo via http://thewildgut.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/aaptiv_fitness_app.jpg

2. Tone It Up 

Karena and Katrina are some of the best and most encouraging fitness gurus out there. Their website toneitup.com offers tons of tips and tricks on how to get the best work out possible and includes loads of yummy recipes. On top of all of this, just by setting up an account (it’s free!!!), you can get a weekly workout schedule sent to your inbox every week with various cardio and strength training routines. They are the queens of HIIT and are so sweet in their emails. I highly recommend checking them out! Oh and did I mention, it’s free!

Photo via https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0220/1048/files/daily-workout-banner-v1.jpg?5905525346323542484

3. Strava

This running and cycling app is incredible if you enjoy tracking your progress and even competing with others. The map feature traces your outdoor runs and can give you a great idea of your progress. You can also find better trails from other users for future runs. In addition, the ability to sync with other Strava users and see what your friends and family are up to can make it a fun way to get competitive about your fitness.

Photo via http://www.lalogiarunner.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/strava-segmentos-en-vivo-02.png

4. Fitstar 

Fitstar is much like Aaptiv except it has the added component of videos so that you can watch professionals while you complete your workout. By having videos, you are able to see how to properly and safely execute various moves in order to prevent injury and unnecessary strain. You choose from “Get Moving,” “Get Strong,” and “Get Lean,” to receive a customized fitness plan for your desired outcome. You can purchase either Fitstar Personal Trainer or Fitstar Yoga both of which go for $7.99/month or $39.99/year.

Photo via http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2014/07/FitStar-Yoga_05.png

5. Fitbit 

This app requires that you have a tracker but the experience can be life changing. Depending on the Fitbit that you have you can track all aspects of your life including food, water, sleep, steps, exercise, floors, weight, and even heart rate. The app includes walking adventures and tours so that you can experience various cities while getting your steps in, as well as weekly challenges where you can compete against friends. It also allows you to manage what food you are taking in during the day and then subtracts that from the calories you have burned, making weight management a breeze.

Overall, getting fit should be about making space for a healthier and happier you. Fear of the gym or hesitation over how to get started should not be obstacles that stand between you and your goals. These apps are just one step towards a radiant, confident, strong, and healthy you.

Photo via Mashable

Student at Emory University
Her Campus at Emory University