This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Whether you’re a solo runner, a group exercise fanatic or dread going to the gym, there’s a type of workout out there for you. Here’s a list of different types of exercise and their benefits so you can discover the best way to get your sweat on!

Zumba

If you hate working out and going to the gym then have no fear because Zumba will make you forget that you’re even exercising. This Colombian inspired dance fitness program is super fun and you can burn anywhere between 500-1,000 calories in a one hour class, depending on your level of intensity. As you dance and move to Latin inspired music, you’re sure to break a sweat!  

Yoga and Some of its Types

Hot Power

If you like a mental and physical challenge then hot power yoga is your calling! Taught in a hot room usually between 90-100 degrees, power yoga is a fast paced flow focused more on strength and balance. But the warm room environment will allow your muscles to loosen and lengthen and your flexibility can increase at a faster rate. The heat will make you drip sweat, allowing for a deeper cleansing of toxins in your body, especially through twisting poses that will wring out your body like a towel. Just remember, just because you’re sweating more doesn’t mean you’re necessarily burning more calories!

Restorative Yoga

If you are struggling with an injury or soreness, restorative yoga will help you regain your strength and heal your body naturally. Restorative yoga places your body in deep poses for long periods of time. You will feel deep sensations as your body opens and releases tensions. This is also a great way to build flexibility.

Vinyasa Flow

Vinyasa yoga is a flow from pose to pose taken on breath. It is generally fast paced and will get your blood flowing. Placing a special emphasis on inhales and exhales given to each pose, Vinyasa is a great way to relieve stress and come into the present moment.

Running

If you like to do your own thing, then running solo might be best for you. Running is super cleansing and will take your mind off of everything it needs to do. But running is something that’s easy to give up on, especially if you go alone. So if you need some extra motivation, try making a schedule and running with a friend.

Pilates

If you’re someone who has a naturally thin figure but maybe you want to work on toning up your muscles, Pilates can help you out. Through small muscle movements and deep tissue toning, Pilates aims to bring your body back to neutral. For people with back or hip problems, this is also a great option for you. While you won’t sweat too much and you won’t be burning as many calories as a cardio workout, Pilates can completely change the shape of your body. If you’re someone who packs on muscle easily, Pilates may also work for you as it aims to lengthen and strengthen the muscles, which can help achieve a long, lean and toned figure. Just remember to pair it with light cardio to maintain your caloric and metabolic burn.

Insanity Extreme Home Workout

If you’re ready to change your body in a major way then Insanity with fitness guru Sean T will give you the results you’re looking for. This high intensity interval workout will burn major calories and get you ripped fast. It’s tough and will push you to your limits but stick with it and you won’t be sorry!

Sky Cowans is a junior at Elon University, majoring in communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. She is currently a reporter for Elon Local News and Elon in the Morning. Passionate about health and fitness, she is also a group exercise instructor for Elon Campus Rec. In her free time she loves making smoothies, going to the beach, and doing hot power yoga. Sky can be reached at scowans@elon.edu.