stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Get Your Summer Body Before School’s Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, I’m sure we’re all looking forward to summer! It’s easy to think of laying out by the pool, going out hiking, and countless other adventures as you sit in your last classes before finals start. While our minds might be focussed on summer, finals, and all of that, it’s important to take care of yourself, too.

How many times have you told yourself that you’re going to go to the gym this semester, only to be too busy to go? Well, lucky for you, you can achieve your summer body goals from home. It takes a little dedication, no equipment, and some new healthy habits.  

Something that is essential to remember, is that everyone’s body is different and beautiful in their own way. You should be the one motivating yourself to become more healthy. Your body is already perfect as it is! Never, ever do things like starving yourself, over-exerting yourself, or other activities that could potentially harm you. Health is a really personal journey for everyone, and we all progress differently. These tips are meant to help you, not hurt you!

First of all, we have to acknowledge something. You will only get as much out of this as you put into it. Dedicate yourself to a new and healthy lifestyle, and I guarantee you will absolutely see changes, even if they’re only small ones at first. Make this something you are excited about, and it will be something you look forward to, rather than dread. Keep up with this plan and these tips, and I promise you will definitely notice a difference.

Before we delve into the workout plan itself, let me give you some of my favorite tips that were beyond helpful to me. My first tip is something that everyone says, but we never seem to believe or follow through with. Drink at least 2 liters of water every day. Your body needs water! An adult body is comprised of at least 60% water, and staying hydrated does wonders for you. You will see your skin improve, your energy levels increase, and your digestive system will thank you. When we don’t hydrate ourselves, our bodies cling to whatever water we have in our system, and this causes bloating. Water weight in our body can be nearly done away with if we remember to drink enough water. If it’s the taste that you can’t get past, try adding some lemon or other fruits. Coconut water is another great option that has lots of electrolytes! A good way to stay hydrated is to carry a reusable water bottle with you everywhere. Using a straw also makes it easier to drink faster!

Another tip is to make the active choice in your life. You might be thinking, isn’t that what I’m doing by reading this article? Well, yes! But there are so many opportunities throughout your everyday life where you can make the choice to be active. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. If you’re going somewhere, trying walking or biking instead of driving. Maybe instead of binging Friends or The Office on Netflix for the hundredth time, try going for a walk and listening to a podcast you find interesting or go with a friend. These little choices you make throughout your day really add up, and your body will thank you for it.

Something else that has made a huge impact on my personal wellness has to do with a healthy diet. When I say diet, I don’t mean cutting out all carbs or fat. Dieting is unsustainable for the human body. We cannot survive off of diets that practically force us to starve ourselves in the name of being healthy. Diets are not healthy. A healthy diet is something completely different. By having a healthy diet, you are choosing foods that nourish your body and make your body feel good. I should also mention that it takes time to adjust and be comfortable with changes in our diet. Make small changes every day like opting for a salad instead of chips, or eating fruit rather than sweets. When you’re at Starbucks, get a grande latte instead of a venti. Little changes will make a big difference. You’ll find yourself craving the healthier options the longer you keep up with it. Something else to consider is that food is fuel for the body. You should never feel guilty about eating, even if it is when you find yourself craving something unhealthy. It’s completely normal to still want junk food, and it’s up to you to find a balance that you are comfortable with.

We’ve finally arrived at the workout plan! Before we get into it, I want to say a few things. Working out is only a part of getting a summer body. To really see results, I highly recommend following my other tips. Hydrate yourself, make active choices, and learn about nutrition and what kinds of food you want to be putting into your body. A workout will help with definition and muscle building, but you need the other building blocks to get the full look.

This is a workout plan I’ve put together based on various factors that have really helped me see a difference in my own fitness journey. These exercises require no equipment, so you can do them pretty much anywhere! You might find it helpful to have a yoga mat on hand, though. If you want to increase the intensity of these workouts, you are more than able to modify them by adding weights or resistance bands. Some of these exercises might take a while to master, so don’t be discouraged if it takes a little while to get the hang of them.

Resources:

How to do a v crunch – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9dq9liTS8

How to do a rainbow leg lift – https://youtu.be/RcWcLvPfI68

How to do a tricep push up – https://youtu.be/s3Mppxwx1o8

How to do a russian twist – https://youtu.be/ARsEm2vakQY

How to do spider climbers – https://youtu.be/Rg59atEJEiE

I’m a Sophomore attending CU Boulder. I’m majoring in Communications and minoring in German Studies. I’m a very active member of my sorority, as well. Off campus, I nanny for a family in Boulder, I love hiking and being outdoors, I love dogs and have three at home, and I’m currently working on a creative journaling project.
Sko Buffs!