kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Fun Ways to Stay Fit In the New Year (Outside of the Gym)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s that time of year again… The gym is extra full, with all of the eager people getting started on their fitness resolutions. While the gym is a great place to get started or maintain your fitness goals, there are so many other options to also consider! If you’re anything like me, then you will understand when I say that sometimes the gym is the absolute last place I want to be spending my time, even though I want to stay active. So here are some ways to stay fit outside of the gym!

Walking

I know that this one is going to sound OBVIOUS, but I feel that people don’t give walking enough credit! I am absolutely guilty of thinking that I am only really getting exercise when I am running and that just walking is not doing enough for me, but there are so many health benefits. In fact, according to The Better Health Channel, “Just 30 minutes every day can increase cardiovascular fitness, strengthen bones, reduce excess body fat, and boost muscle power and endurance. It can also reduce your risk of developing conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, and some cancers.” And with so many beautiful things to see here in Charleston, this is no chore!

Yoga

This is something that I am personally trying hard to get back in the habit of! Yoga used to be well integrated into my weekly routine, and I gained so much from it. This is something that can easily be done at home, with so many online resources to help, or in different places around campus and Charleston. 

The George St. Fitness Center here at the College of Charleston offers free yoga classes to all students from 5:30-6:30 pm every Tuesday and Thursday this spring semester. 

Additionally, local yoga studios such as Urban Yoga on King St. and Mission Yoga on the corner of Spring St. and Ashley Ave offer student prices for classes!

Club Sports!

So many people come to college without much experience playing a sport, but still have an interest in a variety of them. DON’T BE INTIMIDATED. It is never too late to try to pick up a new activity or hobby. There are so many clubs that have open arms to new members, and you should absolutely check them out! Playing these new sports will be a fun source of exercise and a great way to meet new people!

Spontaneous Dance Parties…

For my fellow Grey’s Anatomy fans, you will understand what I mean when I say that you need more Merideth and Christina moments. My roommate and I are notorious for turning on music and dancing around the dorm when we are bored or stressed. Dancing, whether you are taking a class, watching dance videos on YouTube, or are just dancing around your room for no rhyme or reason, can be so good for you. While there are many physical benefits to dancing, there are also mental benefits. According to Healthline, “Scientists have found that the areas of the brain that control memory and skills, such as planning and organizing, improve with exercise like dance.” Turn on the music and get to it!

Your New Year fitness resolutions do not need to be exclusively obtained in the gym, get out and try something new! :)

Hello! My name is Kate, I am from Dallas, Texas and I will be graduating from CofC in the Spring of 2023. I am an international business major with a Spanish minor and a member of the CofC Sailing Team.