Wellness > Health

Walk, Don’t Run: Gym at your own risk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Going to the gym used to mean physical pain, sweat, stress, and overall feeling of dread. I hated the gym because of how inadequate I felt on the treadmill, sticking out in a line of women with slim legs and arms, built for the task of running ‘till you break something. That was never me. I went to the gym anyway in hopes of becoming one of these women, of completely transforming who I am and what I look like. But it was through the endless running that I would crash and burn, not go on a treadmill for months, then hop back on again with a new vigor. Not anymore.

John Arano H4I9G
Jade Stephens / Unsplash

I’ve started walking at the gym and it has changed my entire outlook on fitness. In 2020, I decided to set goals of just walking for about 20 minutes then leaving the gym. And now going into my third consecutive month at the gym, I can say that this strategy of simple movement is the only gym routine that has actually improved my overall health and improved how I felt about myself. It started with setting priorities. If I was tired and didn’t feel like going to the gym, what was more important? Going and completing the perfect workout? Or just going and doing my best? I realized that doing my best, whatever it was for that day, was what was most important. So on those days when I didn’t feel like going to the gym, I focused on just getting my body moving and not having perfect form or speed, or having a cute Lululemon outfit. 

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

Exercise shouldn’t be always about intensity or losing weight; it should be about your health and happiness. External results are not as important as internal results. So if you need to run, dance, bike, touch your toes, or just walk, do what makes you happy.

Alexandra is a Creative Writing and History major at Bucknell University. When she's not busy talking about books, tv, food, or politics, catch her re-watching John Mulaney's Netflix specials. Alexandra hopes to become an author and work in the world of storytelling.