This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

People say that moving to a new house or a new city is, on average, the most stressful thing a person can do. I’d counter that the entire college experience makes up the most emotionally taxing time in many people’s lives, especially nowadays.

I’m sure there are exceptions to this idea, but for myself and the vast majority of those I’ve spoken to, college is more stressful and draining right now than ever before in history. With surging curricula and demanding statistics, getting into the school you want is a mere fraction of the battle. The real fun begins once you actually start your degree. Balancing your coursework with a job and attempting to build some semblance of social life all the while being (often far) away from home for long durations of time—it often sucks, to put it bluntly.  But, there are things you can do to get help.

This past summer, I went to therapy for the first time in my life. I was nervous, as I felt ashamed of somewhat “giving in” to my academic stress—as if admitting that I was unhappy in school was weak. Everyone else seemed to be having a great time, making friends, and doing well; why wasn’t I?

Needless to say, this could not be further from the truth.

Academic stress, in my case and many others, spirals down into a plethora of other mental health issues which I’m still learning to cope with. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

It’s impossible to tell by what you see from afar what the state of someone else’s mind is. Instagram posts only reflect the image that people want you to see. Most people won’t tell you that they’re struggling in daily conversation, but I can assure you that not everybody’s life is as perfect as some make it seem on social media. According to the American Psychological Association, an overwhelming majority of college health center counselors report that severe mental health issues are a quickly growing concern. There’s accelerating demand for more student support with college systems, and admittedly not enough sufficient resources.

Here’s my advice: since certainly not all, but a lot of stress stems from academia, seek help elsewhere. School resources are great but overbooked and in very high demand, so they’ll most likely end up sending you a referral to somewhere else for longer-term care. Why not skip the first step? Try a therapist in your hometown that you can talk to on school breaks, for example, or even one simply off-campus. My copayment per appointment was $40, for reference; if you have a job, dedicate a portion of your weekly or biweekly paycheck to taking care of your mental health. You don’t know how relieving it can be to vent to a professional who is not involved in your personal life about anything you want.

Most importantly, treat yourself with kindness. You’ll likely be out of here within four years; try not to think as if college is the end of the world. It definitely is not. And for the record, those older people who say that college is the best years of your life are lying. It’s alright to be sad. A lot of students are.

The stigma around therapy makes seeking help difficult, but everyone has something to talk about and work through. So, even if you feel content for the most part, think of contacting a therapist near you and see if they can help you out.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets! 

Ellie is a third-year English major with a minor in Cinema & Media Studies. When she is not busy cramming four years of college into three, one can usually find her binge-watching the latest Netflix obsession or reading novels of all genres. Someday she hopes to get a novel of her own out into the world.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.