Wellness > Health

My Go-To Tips For Staying Healthy This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s that time of year when it seems that everybody collectively starts catching some sort of sickness, whether it’s the flu or just your average cold. As a university student living in a communal residence hall, it can be pretty difficult to avoid! 

Here are some of my favorite daily rituals that keep me going strong throughout the winter semester:

Tumeric Milk
Turmeric
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

Turmeric is a great agent for fighting sickness. Because of this, turmeric milk (or “haldi doodh” in Hindi) was something my mamma always forced me to drink as a child.

To be honest, I hated it. I refused it at all costs. But now, at age 18, I find myself calling her up for the recipe in a frantic search to boost my immunity during these cold months of college. 

Here’s the recipe: mix half a teaspoon of powdered turmeric in a cup of milk (or water), heat it for one minute, and add a pinch of black pepper and honey to your taste. In India, we add a bit of saffron for flavor as well!

Vitamin C Supplements

It goes without saying that vitamin C is a fantastic way to boost your immunity! While eating an orange has substantially more nutrients, it isn’t always the most accessible thing. So, I take these supplements (my go-to is the Airborne Chewable Tablets in the ‘citrus’ flavor) every day to stay strong. Not only are they easy to pop in, but they taste great as well!

Masks

Masks, as shown through the COVID-19 pandemic, are one of the easiest ways to avoid sickness. Keeping a mask handy is always a good idea when you are in crowded spaces such as the dining and residence halls or the elevators. A simple disposable mask can go a long way! 

Disinfecting Wipes And Hand Sanitizer

Last but not least, keep your hands and surfaces clean! Studies show that a single doorknob can contaminate up to 60 percent of people in a building in four hours. If you think about how many people go in and out of a university building, it makes a lot of sense as to why we all fall sick at the same time! 

I try my best to battle the germs by consistently sanitizing my hands (there are hand sanitizers stationed all across campus) and Clorox wiping my phone, laptop, desk, and door handles often. This way, I limit the possibility of those germs reaching my eyes and mouth through physical contact.

Try implementing these tips to ensure a strong and healthy semester! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Noyonika is a freshman at BU majoring in Environmental Analysis and Policy with a potential double minor in Economics and Nutrition Science. She enjoys singing, working out, and exploring the city to try new foods in her free time!