harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Keep Your Problems to Your Therapist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The first of exams are beginning, and that means that classes are really in session. Besides Halloween, October only means one thing: midterms, midterms, midterms. With the wonderful experiences of being at a university comes lots of stress. But don’t fear, Her Campus is here!

Before the stress of the semester kicks in, prioritize your mental health. There are lots of stigmas around the topic, but quite honestly, your body cannot function at its best if your mind and emotions aren’t well-kept.

As someone who’s been in therapy since they were 15, I am a huge advocate for mental health – whether that means having an outlet to clear your head or seeking professional help. A big concern of mine has been making sure people are taking care of themselves.

Over the years, I’ve learned that having an unbiased outsider to talk to is extremely important because it really helps us see different perspectives of situations. In a recent mental health episode on Red Table Talk with Jada Pinkett-Smith, she told viewers that we all need therapy, regardless of whether or not we think we need it.

The easiest way to start looking into mentally healthy behaviors is looking on campus at Student Health Services. As frustrating as SHS can be, the behavioral health department does a fantastic job of evaluating patients and offering therapy either on campus or giving referrals to therapists nearby.

As someone who has used them, I really recommend starting here. I regularly see two of the providers that they referred me to. The only downsides are that the first appointment you make has to be over the phone. You can find information on SHS Behavioral Medicine here.

As exciting as the up-and-coming months will be, I also want to remind everyone about Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). If you’re new to the Northeast/gloomy weather, don’t be alarmed as it’s totally normal!  Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that’s related to the change in seasons and most commonly onsets towards the ending of fall and lasts during winter.

Some days it’s going to be hard to get out of bed and believe me, we’ve all been there. While there isn’t a cure, turning on lights and exercising can help combat feelings of seasonal depression.

Mental health is a complex topic, which is one of the reasons psychologists study it. It might take some trial and error, but find a routine that really works for you and stick to it. Your body will thank you for it.

If you’re struggling with anxiety, depression, or are experiencing feelings of suicide, do not be afraid to reach out – we understand. Find a friend, a trusted adult, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (800-273-8255) or find other resources here.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jericha is a senior at Boston University studying Psychology and Public Health. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, especially country and worships Taylor Swift and the band Joseph. She enjoys food and thinks avocados are too small for how expensive they are. When school is out of session, you can find her skillfully avoiding sunshine - working at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.