How to Stay Motivated During the Fall Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’re basically two-thirds of the way through the semester and I know that I’m running out of steam, and it seems like everyone around me is too. Welcome to the mid-semester slump! It’s not uncommon to find yourself lacking motivation throughout the semester but there is something special about the time between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It isn’t exactly midterm season anymore, but there is also a large stretch of classes before break, and the assignments due just seem to never end.

I’ve found myself in a copious amount of stress because there is simply no time to breathe without another paper or exam being piled onto the ever-growing due date list. I can basically taste Thanksgiving dinner already and my friends from home are slowly reconnecting to plan a Friendsgiving but I can’t seem to stay motived to do my work for the next few weeks.

One thing I know helps me is my “Sunday Study Days.” No matter what, every single Sunday I find a place around campus and just get work done. I usually have a friend who comes along, and we have found a cute café to study at. We also have plans to study at so many of Boston’s cutest places, such as the commons and museums. It is so helpful to have a day where I know that I have a blocked off at least 4 hours to just study and get work done. It really helps take the stress away from the coming week. One Sunday, I’m pretty sure I spent 7 hours doing work and I wound up finishing so much that the week was a breeze.

I have also realized it is very easy to get burnt out without any time to myself. Honestly, it’s more than acceptable to just put a movie on or binge watch YouTube for a few hours every now and again. Your brain does need time to rest during the day – especially because it seems like many students don’t get enough sleep.

Speaking of sleep… make it a priority. Sleep is essential to doing well in school. I’m not too sure why students pride themselves on their lack of sleep as if it is a challenge to see who can survive the longest sleep deprivation without crashing. In psych101 last year, we learned that for your brain to memorize things (whether it be class notes or social experiences) you need to sleep. When you are sleeping, that is actually when your brain has time to store information in order for you to remember it.

It is also important to realize that you probably will do poorly on a paper or exam but that does not define your experience or knowledge. I have too many friends who take a failing grade to heart as if it sets the tone for the rest of your college experience. No one can be perfect at everything. I also stick to the philosophy that you cannot grow through an easy experience; in order to grow you have to be challenged and uncomfortable. 

The most important thing to remember during the mid-semester slump is that it already is MID semester. After Thanksgiving, most students only have a few weeks left before Christmas break. College time goes by so fast that I’m convinced it speeds up while I’m away from home. Thanksgiving is around the corner at this point, and if nothing else motivates you to finish your work, just know that at the end of this stretch of classes are a nice few days of holiday celebrating.

We are all in this together! Right now it is okay to just survive the next few weeks; you have years to start thriving!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.