stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Another day, another workout class.  One of my hobbies is working out, but more specifically taking workout classes. I’ve done SoulCycle, Barry’s Bootcamp, boxing classes, dance classes, barre classes, and numerous yoga classes. I like workout classes because I like having an instructor telling me what to do and pushing me to my fullest because when I go to the gym, I tend to lie down on the floor for like 10 minutes between each set of workouts. So in the search for a different workout class, I tried SLT in Back Bay!

SLT (which stands for strengthen, length, tone) combines Pilates, strength training, and cardio into a 50-minute exercise class. SLT is basically Pilates with a little kick. Rather than being a typical Pilates class, SLT is taught on a Megaformer. The Megaformer adds resistance to each movement due to its springs and weight. Hello STRENGTH TRAINING.

I’ve taken Pilates classes on a Megaformer before back in California (AKA, the fitness and wellness-obsessed center of the world). Keep in mind, when I did similar workouts back home, it was like ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO. Even though I remembered some movements, my muscles didn’t; so I basically took this class as a beginner.

For the class, you are required to wear socks with grips, which are sold at the studio. These socks are required so you don’t slip and slide on the Megaformer. The actual workout consists of SLOW, CONTROLLED MOVEMENTS that are meant to make your muscles shake. The idea is to activate your slow-twitch muscle to build long and lean muscles. The snail-pace movements are meant to lead to muscle failure (which honestly sounds TERRIFYING), to induce “more defined muscle development and increased stamina,” according to the SLT website.

This SLT workout kicked my butt. I was sweating. I was shaking. I was a mess. But I endured! When the class finished, I could barely walk home because my legs could hardly function. AND LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE NEXT DAY. I was SO sore. My butt, my arms, my abs, ALL IN PAIN. But don’t get me wrong, I LOVE THESE CLASSES. I truly love workout classes that make me sweat, shake, and almost pass out, because those classes motivate and push me! Also, hard workout classes make me feel like I’m making the most of the money I spent to take the actual class.

All in all, I definitely recommend SLT. It will kick your butt; it will make you sweat; it will make you shake. It is all worth it! I will definitely be taking more SLT classes in the future.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Mikaela is a sophomore in Boston University's College of Communication. Her major is advertising and has an focus in Spanish. Mikaela likes avocado toast, hot chocolate more than coffee, and dogs. Her passions include fashion, watching movies, and eating yummy food. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.