This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There are many reasons why people adore Demi Lovato: her singing ability, her confidence, her acting; for me, I admire her for her dedication to staying fit. Having struggled with drug and alcohol addictions, an eating disorder, and bipolar disorder, Demi attributes exercising to be one of the most important parts of her recovery.

In her documentary titled, Simply Complicated, Demi describes her past eating disorder and admits food is “still the biggest challenge in her life.” But, by working with a nutritionist, going to therapy, and working hard in the gym, Lovato has not only improved her health, but she has set a great example for other women.

Photo Credit: Celebuzz 

Demi doesn’t like her workouts to become boring which, in an interview with SELF Magazine, she says “happens when [she] does just an hour of cardio.” In order to keep things new and different, Demi picked up Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Photo Credit: Estrelando

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a combination martial art and combat sport. It typically focuses on grappling and ground fighting. In an interview with SELF Magazine Lovato said, “I first got into jiu-jitsu because I loved watching people grapple.”

Currently a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Demi loves how the sport incorporates self-defense. She also appreciates having the long-term goal of working towards earning a black belt. Having more motivation than just looking fit or lifting a heavy weight helps Demi stay motivated to work out and excited to improve her jiu-jitsu practice.

Photo Credit: HDQ Walls

In an interview with Fitness Magazine, Demi describes how she’s learned to accept her “flaws,” and instead focus on being grateful and taking care of her body in the best way that she can. While young girls look up to her for their fitness goals, Demi admires women such as Beyoncé, Iggy Azalea, and Jennifer Lopez for flaunting their curvier figures instead of hiding them.

Photo Credit: Daily Mail

Demi Lovato has become a great example for young women today. Even though her body type is unfortunately not the norm in society, she still exudes confidence. By sticking to a fitness plan that offers her more than just a good workout and showing off her curves rather than covering them up, Demi Lovato is someone who I admire and look to for my own motivation.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabriella is studying English at Boston University and is a member of the class of 2020. Her past times include reading, watching tv, working out, and spending time with friends! Gabriella loves going to school in Boston and spending her weekends exploring the city and taking advantage of all the free events it offers, but she also really misses her Jeep. Favorite book: The Great Gastby. Favorite T.V. Show: Gossip Girl.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.