This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

It’s a new semester, and the most important thing we should focus on as students is self-care. 

Self-care consists of doing something to promote your physical, mental, and emotional health. It’s something you can incorporate into your routine that you won’t regret. 

Here are six different hobbies that will allow you to engage in more methods of self-care.

Crafting

This is a popular activity that not only relieves stress but allows you to have fun in the process. The idea of crafting is to make decorative articles by hand, which can be done through a multitude of formats. Knitting, crocheting, and painting are great opportunities to create your own crafts. It’s an enjoyable way to pass the time and do something for yourself. My favorite craft is making quilt blankets for my family members, and it’s proven to be a healthy hobby.

Reading

Only one-fifth of people in the world read for fun nowadays. Most people aren’t a fan of the classic novels they’re forced to read in school, and don’t realize that there are so many better alternatives out there. Reading books gives you the freedom to release your mind from stress and delve into another world — and whether through fiction or nonfiction, classics or contemporaries, there is a book genre (or genres) for everyone.

Exercising

Exercise can be easily construed in a negative manner, but it’s such a beneficial way to better your self-care and mental health. It’s been scientifically proven that regular exercise can relieve stress, improve memory, help you sleep better, and boost your overall mood. Whether through a 30-minute walk, a short YouTube video, or a brisk jog, exercise is an uplifting activity that your mental and physical health will thank you for.

Sleeping

It’s recommended that people get an average of seven to nine hours of sleep every night. Most college students get roughly six to seven hours of sleep every night, but there are also nights where we get less than that if there is a need to catch up on homework or studying. Those days are understandable, but sleeping more can reduce stress, improve moods, and allow students to think more clearly and perform better in school and at work. It is also necessary for those of us (including me) who get huge raccoon eyes if we don’t get enough sleep. It’s so important to have a balanced sleep schedule, and incorporating weekly naps is a bonus!

Stretching

Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, improves range of motion, and decreases future pain and soreness. It’s an activity that can help your body feel better on a daily basis. Just five to ten minutes of stretching every day can easily improve your general well-being — and it’s a form of movement that your body will appreciate.

Journaling

Out of all of these hobbies, journaling is the one that I’ve received the most enjoyment from. As a student, I can say that having a journal has allowed me to be more productive than I’ve ever been before. 

You can either buy a journal with pre-made spreadsheets or an empty one for bullet journaling. All you need is a journal and some pens, and you’re all set. There are so many social media platforms with spreadsheet ideas (my favorite place to look is Pinterest), and it allows you to express your creativity to the max. It’s highly recommended by therapists because journaling helps you control your symptoms and improve your overall mood.

Self-care simply expresses the notion that you should always put yourself first. As college students, it’s so easy to get caught up in the moment that you forget to truly take of yourself.

Hopefully, you can take at least one of these methods and apply them to your daily routine. I know you won’t regret it!

Kalyn Wiley

Bryn Mawr '23

I am a current sophomore at Bryn Mawr College. My interests include cooking, exploring, drinking coffee, and doing fun crafts.