This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

As college students, we rarely are able to get the recommended eight hours of sleep each night. With school, clubs, and other activities we barely have time to think, given all the stress and pressure that we can find ourselves under. There is absolutely nothing more satisfying than getting into bed after a long day and finally allowing yourself to relax. So, why wait until the end of the day? The clear solution to not being able to keep your eyes open in class is nap time! Although napping has a bad reputation in adulthood, we promise it never truly goes out of style. Anyone that disagrees with this has obviously never experienced the greatness of a mid-afternoon nap. Napping can be just as important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle and mindset as eating or exercising. 

Napping can be a great way to destress during a busy day. A quick nap between classes can make all the difference. You will continue the day feeling refreshed and energized. Taking a nap can cure heavy eyelids and actually make you more alert and responsive. Even if you aren’t able to fall asleep, just closing your eyes and clearing your thoughts for a few minutes can be relaxing. If you’re feeling stressed about any work that you have to do, napping can be a great way to ease your nerves. It has been proven that resting for 20 minutes can increase productivity for the rest of the day. Regular short naps have been shown to be beneficial to both mental and physical health. The trick is to plan how long your nap will be before-hand. As tempting as it may sound, you do not want to nap through something important. Make sure you set an alarm to leave yourself enough time to stretch and prepare yourself for the journey back into real life.

So, next time you have to work on a big assignment or you feel like you need a break from the stress of everyday life, change into a comfy outfit and hop back into bed for a few minutes. Even if you aren’t absolutely exhausted, napping will still make a huge difference because, face it, no one is in the best mood if they haven’t gotten their beauty sleep. Remember, the most important thing is that you take care of yourself and short naps are one of many healthy ways to deal with stress. You’ll wake up refreshed and ready to take on the world.

Stay connected! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!

Gif graphics from Giphy.com

Data Science major at Bryant University
Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper