Self Care for World Mental Health Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Today marks World Mental Health Day, and in honor of the holiday (and in recognition of midterms), I wanted to share some self-care tips for students.

Talk it out!

Whether it’s with a friend or a counselor or a family member, if you’re feeling overwhelmed, let someone know. Stress and anxiety can make you feel alone, but talking to another person about what you’re dealing with can really help.

Work out!

When I’m really stressed, especially about schoolwork, I like to go for a run or go climbing. I find that my head is a lot clearer after I exercise, and I usually feel better afterwards, too. Take care of your body by keeping it healthy, and your mind often feels better as well.

Get sleep!

Sleep is so crucial to mental (and physical) health but we often forget that when we have a lot going on. Remember to get some rest, even (and especially) during stressful times.

Take a break! (In the words of Eliza and Angelica Schuyler)

If you’ve been staring at the same problem for an hour and a half, you might need a break to refresh your brain. Go outside, grab some food, listen to music, or do whatever you do to relax, and then try tackling your work again. Sometimes, all your brain needs is some designated “chill” time and the work gets easier afterwards.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.