This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Now that the first wave of exams has passed and Babson students are preparing for their next set of exams in a few weeks, it’s a stressful time. Coupled with the colder weather, busy clubs and organizations, FME projects, and our ever-busy social lives, it’s important to make a conscious effort to maintain both our mental health and physical health. During the second week of school this year, my roommate and I both got sick with severe colds, which persisted for a couple weeks. It was terrible, especially during the most exciting portion of the school year. After this experience, I’ve made some changes to my lifestyle here at Babson and I haven’t gotten sick since! Here are a few of my top tips:

1. Take Daily Probiotics and Vitamin Supplements

This varies for everyone, but I’ve found that taking high-grade probiotics every morning and evening is very supportive for my digestive system, which was especially important while I was adjusting to dining hall food. I also take Zinc supplements, which help prevent against the common cold. Definitely do your research before buying any supplements, as they can get expensive, but they are so worth it! I promise!

2. Exercise

It’s really easy to put off your workout routine in college because we are so busy. However, I’ve found that by spending about an hour at the gym 4-5 days a week, my body feels stronger and healthier. And if you don’t like going to the gym, you could try out yoga. The Babson Yoga Club offers a variety of classes, both on and off campus during the week. Whatever it looks like for you, try to get active! By moving your body every day, you can prevent yourself from getting sick and increase your endorphins, which makes you overall happier and more relaxed.

3. Go Outside

It’s amazing what fresh air can do for you! There are plenty of studies that show the benefits of spending time outside. It’s even been shown to improve your digestive and immune system. Getting outside here at Babson could be a short walk around campus, a longer walk into Wellesley, or even working on homework outside (if you’re bundled up enough). With that being said, remember to wear layers as fall is in full swing!

4. Hot Tea

If you don’t already have a reusable to-go travel mug, get one! As soon as I did this, I started making more tea for myself in my room with my hot water kettle. I also bring my travel mug to Trim and make myself tea, which stays hot in my mug for about three hours. Herbal tea (peppermint, chamomile, citrus, etc.) is specifically great for fighting a cold, or any other minor sickness. I’ve gotten to the point of drinking 3-5 cups of hot tea every day and I think it really helps fuel my body with the herbs as well as hydration. If you are already sick, you should mix lemon or lime and honey in hot water, which can help improve your immune system.

5. Take Time for Yourself

It’s really difficult to feel okay watching Netflix, chilling and listening to music, or read a book for fun when you have a long to-do list. While you probably don’t have time to binge watch your favorite show, it’s important to allow yourself a little time each day to unwind. This is different for everyone, but I personally love reading for about 30 minutes in bed before I go to sleep. Taking this type of time for yourself reduces your stress immensely, which can help fight any impending sickness.

6. Keep Your Room Clean

This one is definitely the hardest, but the most important. The environment you live in can determine your overall health. If you can, set aside some time at the end of each week to sweep/vacuum your room and wipe down your desk, appliances, and clean your makeup brushes. It’s annoying, but it works.

7. Get the Flu Shot

Babson offers free flu shots, so make an appointment with Health Services and take the simplest step towards maintaining your health this fall/winter.

I hope you found these tips useful and can incorporate some of them into your Babson lifestyle. If you have any others that weren’t included in this list, please feel free to reach out to Her Campus Babson so we can include them!

Anna is an eager travel traveler, outdoors enthusiast, and absolute dog-lover hailing from both Seattle, Washington and Boulder, Colorado. She loves to write, read, journal, cook, ski, and play golf.
???? Founder of Her Campus Babson. Lover of stories. Over drinker of coffee. College student interested in the intersection of business, tech, and creativity.