This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

When the body detects an infection, it takes action quickly. The body makes proteins called antibodies to wreak havoc on whatever sorry bacteria or virus decided to enter the body uninvited. Autoimmune disorders are when the body for some reason starts to see a part of itself as an infection or foreign invader. I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune disorder where the body creates antibodies that attack the thyroid, a butterfly-shaped gland located near the center of your neck.

This diagnosis came at a rather upsetting time. After five years of being on blood pressure medication, I was finally taken off of blood pressure medication only to be placed on thyroid medication a few months later. I felt like a failure. I felt like somehow in the midst of all the dietary changes, the nights going to bed early, and morning workouts that I had missed something crucial to keeping myself off medication for good.  Another fun part of this diagnosis was getting my medication dosage right. Because my thyroid was functioning at an abnormally low capacity, I have to take a synthetic form of the hormone my thyroid would normally produce. Hormones are tricky. They control so much, but you really never think about them until too much or too little of them start causing problems. T4, the hormone that the thyroid produces, can impact your energy level, digestion, weight, and sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. Because my thyroid is not producing enough T4, I digest food slower, am incredibly sensitive to cold, and am often very tired. 

It’s a frustrating thing to have your body attack itself. As lovely as my endocrinologist is, it’s really annoying having to drive 30 minutes, catch a train, find my way through a gigantic hospital, and get poked with needles every 3-6 months. But what else can you do? I think it’s important to remember that me and my body are doing our best. I think it’s fair to say my body has the harder job: she keeps every part of me functioning 100% of the time to the best of her ability, had endured years of sore muscles, scraped knees, who knows how many colds, pneumonia, a really bad sinus infection, and a concussion. All I have to do is make sure I move for an hour or so a day, eat my fruits and veggies, and maintain a somewhat regular sleep schedule. It’s not a cure or quick fix, but when I find myself fed up with all the weird symptoms and side effects of this illness, I remind myself to be gentle with my body because we’re both always doing our best.

Lauryn Ewens

Agnes Scott '22

Lauryn is a junior at Agnes Scott College and is majoring in English Literature-Creative Writing. Lauryn is from Houston, Texas but is enjoying the quaint charm of Decatur. When she is not in class or studying Lauryn enjoys writing, reading, and watching movies.