Bored of the Gym? Keep Your New Year’s Resolution Fun!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Now that the middle of January has rolled around, a lot of people have hit a wall when it comes to maintaining their fitness goals. Whether you are working out to maintain your strength or working towards a Spring 5k like me, the gym routine can get boring.  Over the years I’ve discovered cool new ways to keep moving without having to dread going to the gym everyday.

1. Go Outside

I know this can be daunting, but take advantage of the weather while it lasts! There are a lot of nice running areas in Decatur, especially near Oakhurst. Even if you are not a runner, a long stroll outside with help provide light cardio and even a little vitamin D. I would suggest planning out a three mile walk to get a good level of activity.

2. Take Advantage of Group Classes on Campus

There always comes a time during the semester when it takes close to a miracle to get me out of my dorm to get moving. Luckily, our school provides fun and interesting physically active events on campus. Keep an eye out on the Irvine to check when activities like Zumba and Dodgeball are offered. You’ll quickly forget you’re working out if you are shaking your groove thing!!!

3.Go on a Bike Ride:

One of the best new improvements with the Agnes Library has to be the new bike rentals. The rental process is quite easy, and the circulation desk provides helmets. With your new wheels you can explore Decatur while still maintaining your 2017 bod.

4. Go to the Library

Um, excuse me miss? I thought reading doesn’t exercise the body? Well you thought wrong! The Dekalb County Public Library hosts free yoga classes for all age groups. The classes are free of charge, but you do have to register in advance.

5. Workout with Friends

I have the most fun working out when I do it with friends. I like to clear space in my room and put on a workout video, like this one. Though, you may burn more calories laughing at each others attempts at burpees.

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.