harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Cures to Any Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

We all have those moments that seem to just ruin our day, whether they’re big, awful events in our lives, or midterms, or seemingly miniscule things. Sometimes, there’s simply no reason for feeling down— it just sort of happens. If you’re in a funky funk, don’t fret! We’re here for you. 

1. Take a breather

Go for a drive, a walk in the park or down to your favorite froyo spot. It’s unbelievable how venturing out of your room, or off campus, can transport you to a different state of mind and give you a break from whatever it is that you’re feeling.

2. Call a family member or friend from home

Hpw long has it really been since you talked to someone outside of Davis? Being in college can definitely make you feel homesick at times, especially when you’re having a bad day and miss your go-to peeps for some cheering up. Just hearing the familiar voices of your mom or BFF can be instantly comforting and soothing. Catch up!

3. Comfort food

Food is always the answer, is it not? Okay, in moderation. We’ve all had one too many boxes of Girl Scout Cookies.Reaching for your favorite comfort food is a great way to unwind and put your day on pause. Go the extra mile and treat yourself to take out! Order from your favorite Chinese, Thai or Indian restaurant and turn on a movie of your choice. Or get outside of your room and go grocery shopping. You’re guaranteed to be feeling better with dinner and a movie: the classic remedy to a bad day.

4. Listen to music you know makes you happy

When doesn’t a song by your favorite band solve anything? Music heals the soul like nothing else.

It might sound cheesy, but creating a playlist to fit your mood will allow you sink into and interpret what you’re feeling. The amazing thing about music is that it can be both a chance to deeply self-reflect or to momentarily escape what you’re feeling. 

Need help? Try Songza – it curates music based on your mood and the time of the day!

5. Exercise

You don’t have to go run a mile or take an intensive yoga class to feel better — just get out there! Take a walk in the Arboretum or gather a bunch of your friends for a spontaneous and casual Wii dance party. Getting moving will naturally release endorphins, making you feel naturally upbeat and happier.

6. Let it out, but also: let it sink in.

Pushing your feelings aside and internalizing any negative vibes may cause them to resurface later on. Instead, let yourself go through the motions of what you’re feeling. Write a poem, journal entry, or story. Meditate and breathe out negativity. It’s important to realize that your feelings truly matter in and contribute to your overall well-being. Let these emotions run their course, because most important thing is to know your feelings are valid. 

Here’s the thing: you don’t have to feel better immediately. It’s okay to not feel okay, because life will always have moments of ups and downs and there can be no light without darkness.

Varsha is currently a senior at UC Davis double majoring in Communication and Sociology. A Bay Area native, she relishes any opportunity to visit the beach and explore cities big and small. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to utilize her passion for storytelling through a future career in PR. She is a self-proclaimed foodie and always enjoys a good cup of coffee. You can find her writing poems on the quad, reporting stories for AggieTV and daydreaming in the Arboretum, figuring out life as a 22 year old. 
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.