This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Are there days where you feel drained and have no motivation? Do you find yourself in an endless spiral of mental exhaustion? Well, this might be because you are not focusing on your body’s healing process; a necessary step in achieving mindfulness. The term mindfulness refers to the process of having awareness of one’s own body and actively promoting this awareness. 

Mindfulness helps us gain enlightenment and better understand ourselves through internal connection. You are able to pay attention to your body and your surroundings and be in the moment with yourself, away from distractions. 

Psychologically, mindfulness may help you improve your mood, develop positive emotions, decrease stress and anxiety, and ignite a positive relationship with yourself. Mindful meditation allows us to suspend the workings of the mind and focus on what is happening in the moment. This helps us be kind to ourselves and take note of our realities. 

There are many ways to practise mindfulness. My favorite strategy is meditating. You can meditate for as long as you want! To meditate, take a seat somewhere comfortable and straighten your body. Let your gaze slowly fall and close your eyes. Try to be in the moment and focus on your breathing, feeling as your chest rises with each breath. It is normal for your mind to wander; simply leave your ideas behind and focus on your body. 

While meditating, you can put calm music in the background to aid concentration and achieve calamity. Putting slow and soft music in the background helps the body relax more and be in the present state of mind. Some examples of beneficial background music can be raindrops, a fireplace burning, wind, or even some slow, instrumental music. You can also state things you are grateful for, say positive affirmations, and set the intentions for the day.

Some other examples of practising mindful meditation are walking, yoga, journaling, reading, and reading affirmations. When having a bad day, try one of the items listed above and you may notice a change in your mind and body as well as a reduction in your stress from regular life pressures.

If you practice mindfulness, you may find yourself more aware of other areas of your life that you typically do not spend a lot of time thinking about. For instance, after clearing your head through meditation, you may find a more calm and collected way to deal with a situation that has caused you stress. You may also develop a deeper appreciation for day-to-day life activities, especially since you can develop the ability to immerse yourself fully in these moments.

Mindfulness helped me connect with my body in ways I never imagined. I was able to take deeper notice of sensory aspects like taste, smell, and touch that I typically may not absorb.

In my opinion, a crucial aspect of mindfulness is going with the flow. It’s best not to place too much pressure on the process; let your mind go on it’s own journey and carefully observe the flow of your inner thoughts, opinions, and emotions.

In conclusion, when you are feeling stressed at work or school or even in your daily life, take a few moments for yourself and dwell in the moment. I personally found myself able to escape, bettering my mental health in the process. Even just a few moments a day can go a long way in achieving happiness, freedom, and tranquility. 

Ommum Hassan

York U '25

Hello, my name is Ommum Hassan and I am a returning member and am a writer for Her Campus. I spread awareness about many topics and spread as much knowledge as I can. Besides Her Campus I am active member of the community and work at a hospital. I work two jobs and am part of many extracurricular activities around school. The unique qualifications I pertain are FPLT and a first aid CPR certificate. I am currently affiliated with York University doing a double major in Health science and Kinesiology. I also work closely with my faculty and take part in research. In free time, I enjoy reading, working out, and recently started cooking. I enjoy my free time watching Netflix and spending quality time with my family.