This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Okay, I know I’m not the only one that gets that mood where all of a sudden I want to eat healthy, workout and lose weight. I can be the first to say that I definitely am NOT consistent and always revert back to eating REALLY good food! Here are the stages of “getting in shape” that I go through and most likely will always go through.

1. In The Beginning

I literally just wake up think “AH-HA! today is the day I start this new journey of clean eating and working out!”. It’s in the beginning where all the motivation is and eagerness to get it together! I start thinking of meal plans and workout routines, thinking “Oh this is gonna be amazing!” I get so excited thinking about how flat my stomach is going to be and how I’m finally going to be able to slide on those jeans that need to be long gone! I’m sure you get the picture; the beginning always shows the light at the end of the table.

2. Getting Started

Okay, so now it’s time to actually put these thoughts into some action. The first day of clean eating is always so great because you get to experiment with all these healthy foods and try and make them taste not as gross. Meal prepping works so well for me because I don’t have to think about what I’m going to eat for my next meal. Spending all that time preparing your meals for the week gives you so much appreciation for your food that you just HAVE to stick to it. The first day of going to the gym can either be extremely intimidating or extremely exciting. You have this goal in your head and it’s the first day so you’re going to whatever it takes, whether you come out alive or not. The next morning is also interesting because your body feels like it’s in shambles, but there’s also that thought of “I must have KILLED it yesterday!”

3. Uh, Not Today

A couple weeks go by (more like a week for me) and the meal preps start to taste like cardboard and working out sounds like something that can be done tomorrow. You eat a healthy breakfast and feel good about life, but then you pass by Chick-Fil-A and the nuggets stark speaking to you. I mean honestly, how can you say no to nuggets? You swing in that drive-thru and the excitement level shoots through the roof. You take that first bite and a rush of goodness goes from your head to your toes. This is when you realize that this is how life is supposed to be.

4. Hey World, I’m Back!

The diet is basically out the window and you’re back to the usual. This time can be confusing because you’re wanting to cry because the 5 pounds you lost has somehow (you know exactly how) crept back in and became friends with your thighs. But you also want to rejoice because you can finally eat your nuggets in peace!       

Getting in shape is something that is easy for some and seems like impossible for others. If you’re that person that has the will power to eat healthy and workout daily, you are truly my idol. And if you’re that person that has trouble sticking to a routine, you are my twin. Whether you eat pasta or salad all day, you’re bomb and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.