kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Boost Your Mental Health and Cut Down on Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

We all know that college is stressful between papers, exams, extra-curricular involvements, jobs and internships. And we also all know how easy it is to get so caught up that we forget to take time for ourselves. But, this can be very negative for our health.

We all need to take care of our grades, but we need to take care of ourselves first and foremost. Here are some simple ways to make sure that your mental health is just as good as your grades!

Let’s all start the year off right by taking care of ourselves–body and mind.

Treat Yourself

We all love receiving gifts, but most of the time we have to wait until a birthday or Christmas. However, allowing yourself to be treated once a week or once a month in a small way can actually help boost your mood! Retail therapy anyone? Maybe its a venti Frappuccino from Starbucks, a cute bracelet you saw on Etsy, a new outfit, or a new coffee mug. Whatever it is, a small “pick-me-up” each once in a while can give you something to smile about!

Schedule Time to Study… and Time to Relax

Making sure your school work is finished to turn in on the due date is stressful to say the least. So, you should try to schedule your study time. While this may sound a bit overboard, it can save you a lot of stress in the long run! Take a look at your schedule and see what days of the week you have a few hours free. This can be your time to get something done! Believe me, it will make you feel a lot better when you get it done and can go to bed without worrying!

It’s also important to make some time to relax! School work is important, but so is your mental health! It’s good to stay on top of assignments, but it can come to a point where you can’t enjoy yourself because you’re always stressed out! Don’t let this happen by taking Friday or Saturday nights (or both) to let your hair down and place your school work out of sight and out of mind! 

Go To Counseling

There is a kind of negative stigma that comes along with going to see a college counselor, but there totally shouldn’t be! Most of the time in college, you’re paying for a few sessions with the counselor in your tuition, even if you don’t use it. So why not get your money’s worth and go talk to a professional if you’re stressed? Talking to your friends can help, but talking to someone who has been trained in this field can be even more beneficial! And while it may seem a bit awkward at first, give it a chance! Counselors really do want to help you with your problems, that’s why they become counselors!

Make Your Bedroom a Place of Relaxation

I’m sure you have all heard that you shouldn’t study in your dorm room, because it causes too many distractions and stress. So, what should we do in our rooms? Relax!

Your dorm room should be a place where you feel at peace upon entering. How can you do this? Well, I recommend decorating in colors and themes that are calming to you. Another idea is a Mood Board- a place on your wall where you tape up about 20 photos that are peaceful and calming to you. And of course, everyone is different, so your mood board will be totally unique to you! These could be pictures of inspiring words, beautiful scenery, or really anything that sets your mind at ease! Having a calming dorm can also help improve your sleep-if you feel at peace there, you won’t have as much to stress about when you’re trying to get some sleep on weeknights.

Eat Healthy

With campus meal plans, sometimes it’s hard to resist eating pizza in the cafeteria every single day. But, eating healthily really will make your body feel strong, and it could help with your mental health too! Health.com says that drinking plenty of water and eating veggies will help your body feel energized instead of sluggish, and then you won’t have to drink as many energy drinks or coffee to stay awake. Drinking more water and eating healthier foods can also help clear up your skin, so there’s one less thing to worry about!

Get Plenty of Sleep

Yes, I know, this is the advice your mom and grandma give, but its true (and pretty obvious)! APA says that lack of sleep can effect all your body and mind in negative ways. When I stay up way too late at night, I feel absolutely dreadful during my morning classes, and then I get even more stressed out–and I’m sure you’ve been there, too. My advice? Get a proper amount of sleep during the week, and stay up on the weekends! Your body, mental health, and skin will thank you!

Exercise

As Elle Woods says in our favorite movie, Legally Blonde, “Exercise give you endorphins, endorphins make you happy”…and it’s true! Exercise definitely helps with mental health; running, lifting weights, swimming, martial arts, or pretty much any other form of exercise is good for relieving stress. It will also give you more energy over time, and your body will feel much better! Not to mention, it’s fun! Even if you’re not a competitive sports person, going to a group fitness class at your school’s gym is a great way to socialize while getting fit! You’ll sleep better at night, feel better over time, and the endorphins you get from exercising will put your mind at ease!

All of these are simple, but they are definitley helpful! We all want to make the most of the year, not just get through it! 

I hope these little pieces of advice will help you cut down stress and boost mental health!

Enjoy your year, collegiettes, and take care of yourselves!

Allison is a sophomore at Winthrop University where she majors in English and has a concentration in Secondary Education. On campus, Allison is very involved-she is an Honors student, Admissions Ambassador, and a member of Her Campus Winthrop, Baptist Collegiate Ministry, and Ratio Christi. Allison loves her family and friends very much, and tries to spread the love of Jesus wherever she goes. In her free time, Allison loves to travel (Paris, France is her favorite!), read classics like Pride and Prejudice, and drink iced coffee while binge-watching New Girl on Netflix. Follow her on Instagram to see her attempts to be artistic @allisondsnipes
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.