Why You’re Always Tired and How to Sleep Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As university students, most of us can admit to sleeping less than the recommended eight hours. Whether it’s because you’re studying late or watching Netflix, many of us struggle with falling asleep. It doesn’t matter if you have an early 8:30 AM final exam the next morning or a long day tomorrow, sometimes you’ll find yourself tossing and turning for hours and hours no matter how early you go to bed or how many sheep you count.

There are many reasons why you find it difficult to fall asleep or just feel restless even when you manage to get a lot of sleep. Before trying to understand ways to get a good night’s sleep, you should first understand the factors that could be keeping you up at night.

One of the biggest reasons for lack of sleep is studying late at night, right up until bedtime. Cramming to finish an assignment by 11:59 PM or staying up late into the morning preparing for an exam may not be an ideal situation for going to sleep right away. Doing schoolwork and studying to retain information is mentally stimulating, and it’s unlikely your mind will get into a relaxed state to fall asleep right away. Try putting away your work and textbooks at least 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed. Sometimes this may feel like a waste of time but try following a consistent bedtime routine after putting work away. Use the extra time to take a shower, listen to some music or practise some self-care to wind down for the night.

Stress and anxiety are also common reasons for lack of sleep and it’s important to learn how to cope with these thoughts and feelings. Between trying to manage schoolwork, extracurriculars, friends, or whatever else you may have on your plate, it’s easy to feel pressured to manage your time effectively and get enough sleep. If stress and anxiety keep you up late, try journaling or simply writing a few thoughts on your phone’s notes app. Right before bed, write down any thoughts you’re having, whether it’s noting something that happened today or a to-do list for tomorrow. If you’re not a fan of writing, then try listening to an interesting podcast that distracts your mind and one that you can fall asleep while it’s still playing.

If you’re having trouble sleeping, the most important thing is to stick with a consistent bedtime routine and sleep schedule. Even if you don’t have class tomorrow morning, set the alarm to get up at the same time every day. Yes, this means avoiding sleeping in, even on the weekends! Your body will eventually become familiar with your sleep cycle and wake you up every morning naturally without feeling restless. Always allow yourself to have some time before bed to relax your mind and body, and you’ll feel well-rested even before sleeping. Getting plenty of sleep is essential for everyone, especially university students, so make sure you get enough!

Melissa Huen

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Melissa is in her 4th year at Wilfrid Laurier University, studying Music Therapy with a minor in Psychology. When she's not busy raving about her hometown, Vancouver, BC, you can find her baking, travelling, or checking out the newest restaurants in town.