Read These Books When You Need Some Love and Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I grew up with my nose buried in the latest popular book, whether it be Abby Hayes, Harry Potter, or any Sarah Dessen novel. I loved fiction (especially those with fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopian elements), but I only recently – within the last couple years – discovered the greatness of non-fiction. I’ve especially taken interest in self-help/wellness books (I’ve probably purchased about 10 of them within the last 2 years) because of the inspiration and the knowledge shared by the authors, all to help you improve your well-being. 

1. The Secret Series (Secret, Power, Magic, Hero) – Rhonda Byrne

You may have heard of this series or seen it in various bookstores – the small books with mysteriously powerful covers. The Secret was the first book that introduced me to the world of self-help books. The premise of the book is based on the pseudo-scientific ‘law of attraction’, the belief that a person’s thoughts can change their world. Following The Secret’s international success, author Rhonda Byrne has published sequels, titled The Power, The Magic, and The Hero.  

2. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are – Brené Brown

No self-help reading list is complete without a Brené Brown book! If you struggle with being a perfectionist like I do, this is the book for you. Best-selling author Brené Brown talks about how to find the courage, compassion, and connection to embrace your imperfections and to recognize your worth. Remember, imperfections are okay; they help us learn and grow, they make us different from robots, they make us human.  

3. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear – Elizabeth Gilbert

“[Elizabeth Gilbert] asks us to embrace our curiosity and let go of needless suffering. She shows us how to tackle what we most love, and how to face down what we most fear. She discusses the attitudes, approaches, and habits we need in order to live our most creative lives. Balancing between soulful spirituality and cheerful pragmatism, Gilbert encourages us to uncover the “strange jewels” that are hidden within each of us. Whether we are looking to write a book, make art, find new ways to address challenges in our work, embark on a dream long deferred, or simply infuse our everyday lives with more mindfulness and passion, Big Magic cracks open a world of wonder and joy.”(www.elizabethgilbert.com)

4. Adulting: How to Become a Grown-Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps – Kelly Williams Brown 

Let’s face it, we’ve all – at some point in our university lives – questioned our abilities as effective adults in society. I know I’ve asked myself countless times: “How do I even adult?” I mean, sometimes Mama still needs to come to the rescue. Based on Kelly Williams Brown’s popular blog, this humorously entertaining handbook will teach you how to fix your toilet, what to look for when renting a new apartment, and more! (Somebody send me a copy of this ASAP!)

5. Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy – David D. Burns

Learn to use scientifically proven techniques to immediately lift your spirits and develop a positive outlook on life with psychiatrist David D. Burns’ book. Fun fact: the original edition of this book from the 1980’s popularized Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Even wellness counsellors reference this book and use his techniques – they definitely work, I can attest to that!

6. From Coping to Thriving: How to Turn Self-Care Into a Way of Life – Hannah Braime

First of all, I cannot stress how important it is to incorporate self-care activities into your daily schedule – it’s the only way to keep us sane… and healthy too, of course. In this book, Hannah Braime teaches readers how to achieve just that. It is divided into 5 sections: Laying the Foundation, Starting with the Present, Self-Care Essentials, Nurturing the Body, and Nurturing the Mind.

7. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life – Mark Manson

As quoted from Mark Manson’s website,“Life is not about getting rid of problems, it’s about finding better problems. It’s not about avoiding failure, it’s about getting better at failure. It’s not about knowing everything, but becoming more comfortable in not knowing anything. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is all about coming to terms with all of the inevitable unimportant imperfections in life and then choosing to not give a f*ck about them. It’s about learning how to give a f*ck about the few things that truly matter.”(markmanson.net)

8. What I Know for Sure – Oprah Winfrey 

This is a fantastic book to read if you are in need of a little inspiration, or want something to make your heart feel all warm and fuzzy. From the “What I Know for Sure” column in O, The Oprah Magazine, this small gem is filled with stories, insight, and revelation shared by Oprah in hopes that her readers will be able to grow into the best version of themselves and be a change in the world.

9. Be Your Own Fairy Tale: Working with Storytelling for Positive Change – Alison Davies

It’s your turn to be the heroine, the brave princess of your own fairy tale. In this book, learn to boost your creativity through writing your own fairy tale. Form a quest to build energy and confidence, find your inner heroine to help with problem-solving, and learn how to be your own fairy godmother to bring positive changes into your life. There is more to your favourite childhood fairytale characters than meets the eye.

10. Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar – Cheryl Strayed

Cheryl Strayed – aka Sugar from The Rumpus – brings together all her best advice on love and life in Tiny Beautiful Things. Humorous, insightful, compassionate, and honest, this book will give you the comfort you need when life throws lemons in your way.  

11. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life – Jen Sincero

You are more capable than you think you are, and this book will prove it to you. Solid advice, hilarious and inspiring stories, and exercises – mixed with the occasional swear word here and there – is what makes this book a #1 New York Times Bestseller. “By the end of You Are a Badass, you’ll understand why you are how you are, how to love what you can’t change, how to change what you don’t love, and how to use The Force to kick some serious ass.” (goodreads.com)

12. Reading People: How Seeing the World Through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything – Anne Bogel

I’ll be honest, one of my guilty pleasures, before I sleep, is to do Buzzfeed quizzes (I know, I know…) because even though they are inaccurate, it’s sometimes fun to ‘learn’ something about yourself. In this fairly recently published book, Anne Bogel discusses popular personality frameworks (e.g. Myers-Briggs, StrengthsFinder, Enneagram, etc.) and how understanding your own and others’ personality can influence and change many areas of life.  

13. The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself – Michael A. Singer

“Co-published with the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) The Untethered Soul begins by walking you through your relationship with your thoughts and emotions, helping you uncover the source and fluctuations of your inner energy. It then delves into what you can do to free yourself from the habitual thoughts, emotions, and energy patterns that limit your consciousness. Finally, with perfect clarity, this book opens the door to a life lived in the freedom of your innermost being.”(untetheredsoul.com)

Happy reading, and remember to practice SELF-CARE and SELF-REFLECTION!

4th year Music Therapy/Psychology student at Wilfrid Laurier University. While not musicking, can be found writing, gymming, watching Netflix, adventuring, hanging out with friends, and living in the "now". Personal blog: www.ebbonyandlune.com
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.