How My Five-Minute Journal Has Helped Me with My Routines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2022 was to do something for myself at least once every day. We all know that New Year’s resolutions can be difficult to stick to, so when I made this resolution, I really tried to set myself up for success. Self-care is extremely important, and it can be extremely beneficial to work on developing good self-care and self-help routines while you are younger in order for them to stick and carry over into the following years. I received my Five-Minute Journal as a birthday gift from my sister in December and decided it would be the perfect way to help me out when trying to spend some time for myself each day. After having written in it for about three months now, I wanted to share how it has helped me and why I think it is an amazing resource to have when trying to work on your health and wellness.

If you are unaware, the Five-Minute Journal is a guided journal in which you write as soon as you wake up and right before you go to sleep. There are prompts that allow you to acknowledge what you are grateful for and what you are looking forward to, as well as reflect on your day and write about what makes you happy.

To start, my Five-Minute Journal has allowed me to open my eyes and really look at the things in my life in which I am grateful for. Each morning, you write three things that you are grateful for in your journal. This exercise has allowed me to really look at my life and acknowledge my privilege. It is also a great way to start off your morning as it allows you to think of all the good things going on in life, even when you may feel drained or exhausted. I tend to write about my gratefulness for my friends and family, as well as the opportunities I have been given, and my education. I have been able to acknowledge some things that I have that others necessarily do not and continue to express my gratitude towards them every morning. This activity has allowed me to become even closer with myself, in a way, and I have found that it has allowed me to be grateful for all the small things in life and express my gratitude towards them as much as I possibly can.

In terms of routines, having my Five-Minute Journal has helped me follow along with my goal of doing something for myself every day. It has been a routine in and of itself and is a great addition to any morning or nighttime routine. After writing in my journal after I wake up, I am motivated to plan my day. I tend to write in my Five-Minute Journal and then immediately plan out my day, listing off things I want to achieve and any classes or meetings that I might have throughout the day. This has helped me stay organized and allowed me to stay motivated throughout the day in order to maintain a good balance between my personal life and my education. I’ve found that my journal allows me to look at my responsibilities throughout the day, as there is a section where you write down three things that you would like to accomplish. I tend to write about school-related tasks such as quizzes and assignments, as well as wellness-related tasks such as reading and exercising.

These are just a couple of ways in which my Five-Minute Journal has helped me, but I have found it incredibly beneficial to my health and wellbeing. I truly enjoy writing every morning and evening as it allows me to acknowledge my privilege and gratefulness towards life. It has helped change and shape the way I think and act in certain situations, for the better.

Alexandra Winter

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alex is in her third year of Kinesiology at Wilfrid Laurier University and is also minoring in Psychology. She has been a writer for Her Campus for about a year and a half and has loved every second of it. Some of her main hobbies include reading, working out, and hanging out with friends. Her favourite shows are Money Heist and Euphoria. She has a twin sister and 3 amazing pets who she loves very much.