This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The definition of “morning” is different for everyone, but I can promise that waking up in the morning will make you more productive, help you get the most out of your day, and make you feel more accomplished overall. Here are some of my recommendations!

1. Make a To-Do List 

The night before, make a To-Do List of all the things you need to accomplish. By setting goals, you give yourself a reason to get up and start your day.

2. Pick out your clothes

Check the weather and pick out your outfit the night before! You don’t realize how much time you waste trying on different outfits in the morning, until it’s too late.

3. Leave your blinds open

Yes, I know this one may be strange and not an option for everyone. However, if you leave your blinds open, as the sun rises, it’ll make your room bright, which is much better than trying to wake up in the dark!

4. GET SOME SLEEP

I know this one may be straightforward, but if you want to get up early, you MUST go to bed early. Living the uni-lifestyle, I try and get to bed before midnight if I’m waking up at 7-ish.

5.  Use a coffee scrub

If you’re one to shower in the morning, try a coffee scrub! The caffeine will wake you and your body up and won’t make you feel as groggy. Click here to check out my recipes to DIY body scrubs! 

6. Drink lemon water

A cold glass of lemon or fruit infused water will plump your skin and keep it elastic, making you look less tired. Take a look at my infused water recipes here

7. Coffee!

Coffee in the morning won’t just give you a boost of energy, but it has also been linked to preventing diabetes and lowering the risk of liver disease.

8.  Make your bed

This one may seem silly, but if you wake up and make your bed right away, you won’t be (as) tempted to get back in it!

9.  Breakfast

Eat breakfast! I know a lot of people tend to skip this when waking up early trying to get every second of sleep that they can. Eating a nutritious breakfast will wake up your entire body, powering you up for the day. Avocado toast is definitely a step in the right direction. Check out my article on avocado toast recipes here!

10. Exercise 

Working out in the morning makes you more alert and increase your ability to focus. This will help you achieve your best performance, and make your day as productive as possible.

There you have it, my tips and tricks to be a morning person! Keep in mind that being a morning person will definitely take practice, and creating a routine is key. Good luck! 

Zoey is a third year Honours Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University. Besides writing for Her Campus, she is an avid planner, Netflix enthusiast and Youtube beauty video obsessed. If she’s not on campus or in her bed it's safest to assume she’s at the mall (#shopaholicprobs). Her goal after university is to obtain a position in PR or marketing!
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem