DIY Face and Body Scrubs to Avoid and Eliminate Dry Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It is officially Fall! Unfortunately, with it comes dry skin. Let me help you avoid that by sharing a few of my favourite homemade face and body scrubs. They are so easy and cost practically nothing! Chances are you already own most of these ingredients. Before we get started, just know that substitutions are always allowed; if you prefer grape seed oil over olive oil then swap it, same goes with hazelnut for vanilla, or lemon for grapefruit. These scrubs are entirely customizable to your preferences. I also made all of these in containers so they were ready to be stored!

Frank’s Replica Coffee Scrub

This scrub is the driest of the recipes, which means it’s the most abrasive, so if you have sensitive skin I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s a great one to use if you’re a morning shower type of girl, because the caffeine will give a boost to your skin and help wake you up so you’re able to tackle your day!

You will need:

Ø  Ground Coffee (I used vanilla)

Ø  Raw Sugar

Ø  Olive Oil

Ø  Coconut Oil

Ø  Sea Salt

Ø  Optional: Vanilla Extract

Step 1: Add equal parts of ground coffee and raw sugar into a bowl

Step 2: Then add 1 tablespoon of sea salt

Step 3: Next, 1 tablespoon of olive oil

Step 4: And 2 tablespoons of coconut oil

Step 5: Mix

I found it worked best if I mixed the ingredients with my hands rather than a spoon. When you’re done, it should look like this: 

Grapefruit Scrub

Next is the grapefruit scrub, which is my personal favourite. The consistency of this one is a lot wetter than the rest, but it is incredibly hydrating, as it calls for A LOT of coconut oil. Also, the acid from the grapefruit will help with further exfoliation and give a brightening effect to your skin. I love using this specific scrub before self-tanning. Now let’s get into it!

You will need:

Ø  Coconut Oil

Ø  White Sugar

Ø  Grapefruit

Step 1: Mix ½ cup coconut oil and sugar in a bowl

Step 2: Zest the grapefruit into the bowl

Step 3: Add 1 tablespoon of grapefruit juice

Step 4: Mix all ingredients together until a thick paste is made

Step 5: OPTIONAL – for a richer pink colour, you can add a beet to the mix

Vanilla Brown Sugar Body Scrub

Next is the vanilla brown sugar scrub which, to me, screams fall!

You will need:

Ø  Coconut Oil

Ø  Brown Sugar

Ø  Salt

Ø  Honey

Ø  Vanilla Extract

Step 1: Put ¼ cup of coconut oil in a bowl

Step 2: Add ½ cup of brown sugar

Step 3: Add ½ cup of sea salt

Step 4: Mix the above ingredients and then add 1 tbsp of honey and a little vanilla extract

And there you have it, the seasonally appropriate scrub to help prevent dry skin!

Calming Green Tea Scrub

Finally, we have the calming green tea scrub. This is my roommate’s favourite for a relaxing night in. Green tea is an incredible antioxidant to ingest, but it also has great benefits for applying to the skin. It helps kill bacteria to reduce acne of all types, tightens and brightens the skin, as well as is fantastic to clear pores.

You will need:

Ø    Sugar

Ø    Olive Oil

Ø    Cup of Brewed Green Tea (Cooled)

Ø    Bag of Green Tea (Not brewed)

Step 1: Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1/8 cup of olive oil in a bowl

Step 2: Add the green tea leaves from the non brewed tea bag

Step 3: Add 1/8 cup of cooled brewed green tea to the mixture

Step 4: Mix all together

Tip: Make sure the tea is completely cooled – try putting in the fridge for a little or else it’ll melt the sugar. 

And there you have it, four different recipes to avoid dry, cracked skin this fall and winter season! 

Zoey is a third year Honours Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University. Besides writing for Her Campus, she is an avid planner, Netflix enthusiast and Youtube beauty video obsessed. If she’s not on campus or in her bed it's safest to assume she’s at the mall (#shopaholicprobs). Her goal after university is to obtain a position in PR or marketing!
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem