This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s another year at Western, and for most of us fall usually involves a few trips to to the bookstore, catching up with friends and many tipsy nights stumbling down Richmond Row before classes get too heavy. Despite the new gear (anyone else LOVE the smell of new notebooks?) and excitement, this is also the time when those first uneasy thoughts about deadlines and midterms start to feel like a reality. After a summer of nine to five jobs and fun in the sun where we haven’t had to think twice about homework, the anxiety begins to set in.

Aside from locking yourself in your bedroom for the next week, bent over your laptop and working without adequate food or sleep in the attempt to get ahead (or more likely, attempting to catch up) there is something you can do to cope with some of the apprehension that comes along with another year at university…

Yoga is a great way to stay healthy, both physically and emotionally. For those of you who are unfamiliar, yoga is a method of exercise with its origins in Eastern medicine. It features a variety of poses that test your flexibility and strength, while pairing each pose with consistent breathing techniques (sometimes called “ocean breaths” because of the sound the air makes as it enters and leaves your lungs), which are intended to strengthen your body in preparation for more complicated poses.

Alongside this emphasis on breathing techniques, yoga places great value on generating feelings of calm and serenity. Instructors of yoga classes channel these values into their guided meditations that are often shared throughout the exercise. A good yoga class will leave you feeling sweaty and sore, but will also help you discover an active self-awareness and refresh the mind – no matter what level or class you start with!

In our own forest city at Shangrila Yoga studios, Rebecca Hildebrandt teaches a variety of yoga classes with these same aims of stretching out the body and soul.

Rebecca originally hails from Kenora, a small town in Northwestern Ontario that is best known for its lakes, islands and wildlife (if you ever visit, keep an eye out for a giant fish statue called “Huskie the Muskie”). She studied at the Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver, majoring in Photography, but Rebecca also frequently dabbled in painting and book-making.

Name: Rebecca Hildebrandt

Occupation: Teacher at Shangrila Yoga

Hometown: Kenora, ON

Relationship Status: Taken

I was lucky enough to get some time with Rebecca, who has a few words of wisdom for both yoga pros and non-yogis alike.

How would you describe yourself in three words?

I’m pretty soft-spoken, I like to observe and listen most of the time. I would say kind as well, since my Dad instilled in me from a very young age the importance of being kind, especially to those less fortunate. Yoga has also taught me how equally important it is to be kind to yourself. Self-love ripples outward into your friendships, relationships, your career, or anything that you do, and everyone around you will be sure to feel the love too.

Carefree! My personality type is ENFP in the Myers-Briggs test (if you’ve never done it, you should!), so I like to experience the world by going for walks, exploring, swimming, or just being outside in nature.

What is your favourite Yoga pose, and why?

It changes all the time, depending on how I am feeling, or even the season! Right now, I would have to say my favourite yoga pose is Wheel (in Sanskrit it’s called: Urdva Dhanurasana, meaning Upward Bow Pose). I love this pose because of how challenging it was when I first started practicing it, and it still can be for me! It requires both strength and openness, and it has taken time to slowly find the space in my body. To be honest, I really didn’t like this pose at first! I remember feeling bad for not being able to do the pose “perfectly.’’ I have learned to love this pose no matter how it looks or how open I am: it has become a practice in enjoying what I am feeling in the moment and focusing on my breath. 

If you’re interested in taking a class with Rebecca you can find her at Shangrila Yoga studio, located at 111 Mount Pleasant Ave (behind Purdy Natural). She teaches Hatha Flow on Mondays from 9:30-10:45am, and Sundays 6-7pm. You can check out Shangrila Yoga instructors and class times here.

Rebecca also teaches Wednesdays 8-9:15pm at Fitness Forum, located at 900 Jalna Boulevard.

For your daily dose of inner harmony, follow Rebecca on Instagram and check out this brief video “Coming Back to Breath.”

Stefanie is majoring in English Literature & MIT, spending much of her time at the University of Western Ontario acquiring her tastes for the finer things in life, such as high-end cosmetics & everything chocolate. A strong advocate for animal rights, she is happiest surrounded by her furry friends. For your weekly dose of sass & eloquence follow her on Instagram @s_karasavidis
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.