Homemade chocolate chip cookies
Homemade chocolate chip cookies
Shauna Ruby Valchuk

My Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that creating the perfect gluten-free chocolate chip cookie was my new life’s purpose. And finally, I’ve done it. 

I am by no means a baker. I wouldn’t even consider myself an amateur baker. I would consider myself simply a mere cookie connoisseur. My ideal cookie is one that’s flat, crunchy on its edges and ooey-gooey on the insides. Simple enough, right? Right…? 

My recipe went through many variations. I originally started off with Bon Appetit’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe, simply because I love their YouTube videos. All-in-all, I made about five test batches of my cookies over three weeks. Each time I changed something small, yet still important (like the dark brown to white sugar ratio or the number of nutmeg teaspoons). 

With every batch, I would bring some cookies to my work to get my coworkers opinions.

“They taste like Christmas,” Chris said. 

“Put less nutmeg next time,” Emily suggested. 

“They’re perfect!” Dawne would tell me, with every batch. 

Without further adieu, here is, finally, my perfect gluten-free chocolate chip cookies (based on BA’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe). I’d also love to know how these cookies taste with regular flour, so feel free to try that! 

• 1 ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour 
  • Pinch of salt
  • ¾ (1 ½ stick) for hot butter and ¼ (½ stick) for cold butter
  • 1 cup dark sugar
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ bar of Camino extra dark chocolate bar
  • ½ bar of Camino milk sea salt chocolate bar
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375°. Whisk flour and salt in a big bowl. Set aside.

Cook ½ cup (1 stick) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, swirling often and scraping the bottom of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula, until butter foams, then browns. Transfer butter to a large heatproof bowl and let cool for one minute. Cut remaining ¼ cup of butter (½ stick) butter into small pieces and add to brown butter (it should start to melt but not foam and sizzle, so test with one piece before adding the rest). 

Once butter is melted, add both sugars and whisk, breaking up the clumps until sugar is incorporated and no lumps remain. Whisk in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. After butter and sugar mixture is cooled, add egg and egg yolks until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Create a well in the flour and salt mixture, fold in butter mixture.

Homemade chocolate chip cookies
Shauna Ruby Valchuk
Grate both chocolates into a separate bowl. Stir. Add mixed chocolate to dough. Fold. Place dough onto saran wrap, roll into log. Fold over edges, place in the fridge for thirty minutes or until ready to bake. Place log horizontally, and cut with a knife vertically into baby circles. Place cookies onto a pan, bake for four and a half minutes. After four and a half minutes, turn the pan around so cookies bake evenly. Bake for five minutes. And, most importantly, enjoy! 

And there you have it! My month-long journey to the best cookies has finally come to an end. Now get out there, get to the grocery store and don’t forget to preheat your oven. You won’t regret it.