This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Oprah—talk show host, producer, media executive, actress, philanthropist and queen. Oprah Winfrey is a role model for many, speaking authentic truths to guide people through the hardships of life. These kinds of challenges are constant, but so is Oprah. Last year, 2019, was a big, tough year—for me at least. 2020 is sure to bring new joys and troubles that are easy to get wrapped up in. But with these experiences come learning and thus improving oneself, a process that takes self-love and growth, perseverance and courage and an appreciation for the goodness of life. To start 2020 off on the right foot, here are 20[20] quotes from Oprah Winfrey, that will hopefully inspire you to ask yourself in times of trouble: what would Oprah do?

TO INSPIRE: SELF-LOVE & GROWTH

1. “When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are.”

2. “Self-esteem comes from being able to define the world in your own terms and refusing to abide by the judgments of others.”

3. “If you’re sitting around waiting on somebody to save you, to fix you, to even help you, you are wasting your time because only you have the power to take responsibility to move your life forward.”

4. “Often we don’t even realize who we’re meant to be because we’re so busy trying to live out someone else’s ideas. But other people and their opinions hold no power in defining our destiny.”

5. “When you don’t know what to do, do nothing. Get quiet so you can hear the still, small voice—your inner GPS guiding you to true North.”

6. “The greatest lesson of life is that you are responsible for your life.”

TO INSPIRE: PERSEVERANCE & COURAGE

7. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.”

8. “Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don’t fight them. Just find a new way to stand.”

9. “The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power. Facing the truth really will set you free.”

10. “The great courageous act that we must all do, is to have the courage to step out of our history and past so that we can live our dreams.”

11. “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.”

12. “Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.”

13. “Worrying is wasted time. Use the same energy for doing something about whatever worries you.”

14. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping-stone to greatness.” 

TO INSPIRE: APPRECIATION

15. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”

16. “My idea of heaven is a great big baked potato and someone to share it with.”

17. “Whenever you can’t think of something to be grateful for, remember your breath. With each breath you take, you can say, ‘I’m still here.’ Make each day a holiday of thankfulness – and give yourself the gift of gratitude!”

18. “Here’s the gift of gratitude: In order to feel it, your ego has to take a backseat. What shows up in its place is greater compassion and understanding. Instead of being frustrated, you choose appreciation. And the more grateful you become, the more you have to be grateful for.”

19. “Being grateful all the time isn’t easy. But it’s when you least feel thankful that you are most in need of what gratitude can give you: perspective. Gratitude can transform any situation. It alters your vibration, moving you from negative energy to positive. It’s the quickest, easiest most powerful way to effect change in your life — this I know for sure.”

20. “I love bread!”

So go forth, speak your truth, love bread and have a great year. Because Oprah wants you to. 

Oprah quotes retrieved from: