jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Hi, I’m Here Because I Have Anxiety”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

“Hi, I’m Anika and I’m here because I have OCD and GAD and I’m looking for strategies to cope with my anxiety.” This was what I said during my very first mental health support group session back in January.  

When I was first diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder last semester, my counselors, family members, and friends were awesome. They were great listeners; they were kind, comforting and helpful when it came to the problems and hardships I was facing. Even though they were super comforting, they did not exactly understand what I was going through, often making me feel alone, empty, isolated and almost as if I was the only person on the planet with anxiety.  

I decided to join an anxiety support group to destroy these feelings of sadness and loneliness by meeting and connecting with other students who were also dealing with anxiety. Even though I was unsure about what to expect from my four-week “Managing Stress & Anxiety Group” through Western’s Student Development Centre, I actually found that this support group not only changed my perspective on my own anxiety disorders, but it also changed my outlook on the anxiety disorders of others and mental health in general. Here is a brief week-by-week overview of my experience with a four-week “Managing Stress & Anxiety” support group.   

Session #1

In the first session of the anxiety support group, we went over introductions, the importance of confidentiality and had a roundtable discussion about stress and coping mechanisms. As we went over stressful triggers that cause anxiety and discussed unhealthy vs. healthy coping styles, it was refreshing to hear the stories of other Western students in similar situations. When I am stressed I often engage in negative coping behavior like watching YouTube videos or eating junk food (oops!), so I really appreciated having an open discussion on healthy coping styles like exercise, meditation, and hobbies.    

Session #2

In the second session of the support group, the week’s theme was identifying and changing negative thought patterns. As someone who has multiple negative thoughts every day, I found this week’s discussion incredibly insightful and relatable. It was great learning about the negative thought patterns of my support group members and how they deal with them. It was amazing to learn that there were more than ten different types of unhelpful thought patterns including all-or-nothing thinking (“If I don’t get 100% then I’m a total failure”), mind reading (“She definitely thinks I’m an idiot”) and disqualifying the positive (“Maybe I got 82% but Lucy got 90% so I really didn’t do that well”). It was also interesting learning about different techniques to find alternative ways of thinking, including asking yourself questions to fight the legitimacy of the thought (i.e. What’s the evidence for and against this thought?) as well as taking the power away from the thought by repeating the word until it loses meaning or by saying it in a funny voice.         

Session #3

In the third session of the support group, we discussed topics within the theme of procrastination including why we procrastinate, how we procrastinate, how procrastination actually increases stress and anxiety, and strategies in order to manage our time better in order to overcome procrastination. I have a serious problem with procrastination which unfortunately heightens my anxiety, so it was awesome talking with other students who often procrastinate and who understood the stress and anxiety procrastinating causes me. Some of the strategies to overcome procrastination we were taught include creating SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely), limiting distractions and interruptions (no Facebook or Instagram), finding a study buddy, figuring out when and where you work best (Time of day? Total silence or background noise?), and rewarding yourself (practice taking breaks and doing self-care).      

Session #4

In the final session of the support group, we discussed how to develop better habits with regards to eating and sleeping, among other things. Again, as someone who does not exactly have the best eating and sleeping routines, it was great learning about strategies to develop better habits while listening to the stories of others with anxiety who have experienced similar difficulties.  

Through this four-week “Managing Stress & Anxiety” support group at Western’s Student Development Centre, my feelings of loneliness and isolation disappeared as I had the opportunity to hear the stories of other Western students who are also struggling with anxiety. I also found that after my diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder I did not exactly have the best coping habits, so I really appreciated being in a group where I had the chance to learn about how to find healthy coping styles, change negative thought patterns, overcome procrastination and develop healthier living habits. Although support groups are not for everybody and not everyone is a fan of the mental health services offered at Western, this support group gave me the chance to hear personal experiences and connect with other students with anxiety. As I experienced feelings of loneliness and isolation when I was first diagnosed with anxiety, it was clear to me that stigma around mental health still exists in 2018. Thanks to an amazing stress management and anxiety support group, however, I feel like I belong to a community of strong and resilient students who understand my struggle with anxiety.