Wellness

The Western Wellness Center is Here To Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Today I went to the Western Wellness Centre, and it was the best decision I’d made in a while.

I was a little afraid. I thought that people might stare, that they would judge me and, above all, I thought that the staff would think that I wasn’t “stressed enough” to see them. I felt that without a diagnosis of mental illness, I shouldn’t need to see a counselor and should be able to just deal with my emotions alone. But after nearly having an emotional breakdown in the middle of class, I knew that there had to be a better way.

I didn’t know what to expect when I went there. I just walked in, went up to the counter and said, “I don’t completely know what you guys do here, but I’m not having a good day.” As I started crying, I got worried the people at the desk or the other students sitting around would judge me—but no one did.

I was taken aside, handed a few tissues, and the counselor and I chatted about my situation. I explained how I was having trouble managing my due dates, my group projects, my business, and my social life. I actually brought out my planner for the counselor to see.

We went over my schedule together to block out time for my projects and create scripts for messages that I could send to group members and professors asking for extra help. Within about 30 minutes, I was completely calm.

So whatever your stress levels, please know that there is help available!

It’s easy to get into your own head and talk yourself out of talking to someone. Just remember, no one will judge you, at any stress level. The Wellness Center was set up for a reason: to help university students exactly like you.

When it comes to school, YOU are what matters most. Before your grades and your projects, you are what comes first. One day, this life at Western will be gone, but you will remain. Sometimes the best way to love yourself is to get a little help.

If you are interested in going to the Western Wellness Centre, it’s located in the basement of the UCC near the hot wax bar and the bookstore. You can find out more about it here and here