harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Things To Do If You’re Having A Bad Mental Health Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

In a mental health slump? Here are some quick ways to jump back into things.

If you are someone who has struggled with depression and are looking for ways switch gears and shake off that negative and overbearing sadness, you’ve come to the right place girl, I’m right there with you! I’ve come up with 5 ways to help you get back into the swing of things if you’re having a bad mental health day and you just need a moment to feel like yourself again.

1. Disconnect from social media – If you’re having a bad mental health day, the last thing that you want to do is to scroll on social media and see other people living their best life. Let’s be honest, that’ll only make you feel worse and make you feel even more in a slump. I have to force myself to close out my social media apps and put my phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’ so that I can just disconnect from social media and take a breather.

2. Take a walk in nature – A breath of fresh air has never hurt anyone. When you’re feeling really down and depressed, it can be tempting to lay in bed and cuddle up in the comfort of your own room, but a change of scenery can really turn things around and change that negative energy into a more positive mindset, give it a shot, you’ve got this sister!

3. Read a self-help book – One of my favorite self-help books are You Are A Badass:  How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero. This book is a great read to help you feel like you’re on top of the world and to give you great advice on getting back out there with the right mindset. Read more about it here.

4. Meditate or Practice Yoga– This may sound cliche, but a great way to get out of a mental health day slump is to get active. It’s a great way to clear your head and feel refreshed by taking some time to practice some self-care physically and mentally. Here’s one of my favorite videos when I’m in a mental health slump.

5. Talk to someone – Sometimes it can be hard when you’re not sure how to express yourself to your loved ones, but it’s really important to open up and tell someone what you’re feeling. Whether it’s a friend, a significant other, a family member or a therapist, let those special individuals in your life care for you when you need it the most.

I hope these quick tips helped you to find ways that you can overcome a bad mental health day. Whether you incorporate one or all of these tricks into your self-care routine, it’s really important to check in with yourself and find ways to cope with your mental health. #YouAreNotAlone

Jahasia Cooper graduated from Wells College with a BA in International Cultures and a minor in Communications Studies. Her favorite dessert is anything strawberry-flavored or with caramel and her kryptonite is natural hair products! You can catch her binge-watching Rick & Morty or at The Grind for her daily cup of joe!
Wells Womxn