These STL Workout Classes Will Kick (And Tone) Your Butt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Maybe you’re trying to keep up with that exercise kick you were on this summer, or maybe you’re trying to catch up on all that working out you told yourself you would do but then never got around to. Whichever camp you’re in, you’re tryna get in shape. But between classes, sorority obligations, and extra curricular positions, the additional thought of going to the gym is enough to send anyone into a tailspin.

We’ve all been there – you tell yourself you’ll go to the gym at 5, but then 4:40 comes around and the idea of mindlessly speed walking on the treadmill for half hour actually sounds deadly. The best way to combat this exercise induced flakiness is to sign up for a class that forces you to commit to a certain time. This way, you can’t ditch your S’well for a Diet Coke or your workout leggings for those pajamas pants. Trust me, you’ll be happy you tried any of these 5 kick-ass classes. 

1. Barre: Pure Barre and The Bar Method

pinterest.com

Barre is a hardcore combination of Pilates, dance, yoga, and strength training that will lengthen and tone your muscles for a lean, dancer’s body. It doesn’t sound intense now, but you’ll regret underestimating it when you’re on the 20th push up or in that last 30 seconds of plank. Check out Pure Barre Ladue and The Bar Method Brentwood for discounted student rates. 

2. Orangetheory Fitness

westsidetoday.com

Orangetheory is an intense 60-minute workout “designed to push you into the Orange Zone. This creates ‘Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption’,” which, according to their website, is what burns calories after your workout and gives you noticeable physical results. Many fans of Orangetheory appreciate their ability to adjust the class to their own pace and leave the workout feeling sweaty and satisfied. You can sign up for your first free class here

3. Yoga Six

giltcity.com

Plenty of people are skeptical about the real physical results that yoga classes provide, and Yoga Six knows that. That’s why they swear that “Mystical and ethereal are out; modern, results oriented yoga is in.” Not only will you clear your mind and find some reprieve from the daily stress of college life, but you’ll also see real changes in your body and get a good workout to boot. New students can learn more here

4. Shred415

giltcity.com

The name sounds intimidating, but Shred develops their workouts so they are customizable to any fitness level. Like Orangetheory, you select your own weights and your pace on the treadmill, and the interval training keeps you burning calories long after you’ve left the studio. Shred415 has been said to be a crossover between Orangetheory and Barry’s Bootcamp, for those familiar with either class. You can look more into trying out Shred here

5. PLNK | STL

PLNK is a “total body, 50 minute workout with a focus on targeted muscular strength building and conditioning,” according to their website. You’ll use Megaformers (think low-to-the-ground, flat platforms) to execute an effective range of motion that will keep you in the fat burning zone for the entire 50 minutes. You’ll sweat, shake, and shock muscles you didn’t even know you had. Their website claims you’ll burn an average of 600 calories and jumpstart your metabolism. Try it for yourself here

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.