5 Tips for Staying Motivated Throughout Your Fitness Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The initial step in beginning a fitness journey is difficult. It takes a lot of mental preparation in order to feel confident and determined enough to start to dedicate time to a fitness routine. People often say getting through the first month is the most challenging time but the truth is, it’s challenging regardless of where you are in your fitness journey. Continuing to make time for the gym, eating to fit your workouts and staying motivated becomes tedious and begins to take a toll. Fear not, there are things that you can do to stay on track.

1. Remember why you started

When beginning a fitness journey, it’s for a purpose. The reason varies from person to person and can range from health purposes to simply feeling better about the way you look. Something ignited that fire to begin with and sometimes you need to rediscover what that was to keep moving forward. It’s important to bring yourself back to how you felt at the start of your journey to remind yourself why you continue to do what you do every day.

2. Take progress pictures

If you didn’t take pictures of yourself before you made changes in your life, take some now. After you’ve taken your starting point pictures take them again every month or every few months, whatever you feel comfortable with. It’s encouraging to see even the slightest difference in your body and it helps you point out the areas you want to focus on more. If your progress pictures after a month don’t look how you want them to, use that as motivation to go even harder the next month.

3. Look at fitness Instagram accounts

There are thousands of Instagram accounts run by actual personal trainers and health gurus that provide accurate, helpful information on diets and exercises. They often post their own progress pictures or progress pictures of people that their programs have helped which can also increase your motivation. If you find yourself feeling tired and not in the mood to go to the gym, spend 10 minutes looking through these Instagram accounts and you’ll be ready to get up and go.

4. Switch up your exercise routine

Changing up your workouts is important whether you’re lacking motivation or not, but it’s especially effective when you do find yourself in a rut. Trying new workouts can bring that element of fun back into your routine because you’re giving yourself a new challenge. Upping your weights, attempting to use a new machine or adding in a new workout routine completely keeps things interesting and will make your workout routine more dynamic.

5. Set new goals for yourself

The best part about sticking to your fitness goals is that once you accomplish one, you get to take on another. Living a healthier lifestyle is a continuous, lifelong process that never truly ends. Even if you reach exactly where you want to be with your health and fitness, you have to work to maintain it. It’s important to constantly be challenging yourself and you can do that by giving yourself new goals to accomplish, no matter how big or small they are.

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!