This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Admittedly, there are times I find myself yearning to listen to sad songs, even if my mood is light. Is it so awful to crank some Sam Smith songs and get in my feels? According to Sandra Garrido, author of the article “Sad music and depression: does it help?” there are instances where this type of music can be detrimental. In her article, Garrido presents numerous studies on how music can hold impacts ranging from cathartic to destructive and describes that when people seem to be suffering constant cycles of negative thought or “rumination”, that these gloomy tunes have the effect of “prompting sad memories and negative thoughts” when depressed (Garrido, Sandra, “Sad music and depression: does it help?”, theconversation.com). 

I found it fitting this month to share some songs that can get somebody out of their funk or illuminate their surroundings a little bit. That somebody could be you, a friend who is generous with their aux cord, or a family member in need of an anthem to end this year on a high note. I am not guaranteeing that these songs will immediately cure any mental health problems you or somebody you know are currently suffering, only that it could be of help.

spotify, phone, headphones, music
Fixelgraphy / Unsplash

1. Happy/Sad Songs are a Great Place to Start

Whether or not we realize it, there are countless songs that contain an upbeat mix but have lyrics that are not equal in optimism. If you are wary about counteracting the mood in your playlists too soon, I recommend the following songs to test the waters:

AJR – Weak

Avicii – Waiting For Love

Florence + The Machine – Dog Days Are Over

Grouplove – Tongue Tied

Hailee Steinfeld, Alesso ft. Florida Georgia Line, Watt – Let Me Go

Katy Perry – The One That Got Away

Lorde – Green Light

P!nk ft. Nate Russ – Just Give Me A Reason 

Post Malone – Circles

Shawn Mendes – Stitches

Tori Kelly, Big Sean – Hollow

Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye

​

Green Car Near Seashore With Blue Ocean
Simon Matzinger / pexel

2. Better Times = Better Tunes

Many scientific studies have proven that memories regarding a specific song can, in turn, evoke those specific emotions. These songs are not obligated to have happy meanings behind them, it’s the memory that plays alongside it that can be the most influential. Music can have this ability to rewind time, in a sense, and bring you back to a place you might have felt more peaceful or uninhibited. Here are a few that could trigger these happy thoughts:

Avicii – Wake Me Up

Bastille – Pompeii

Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill

Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX – I Love It

Katy Perry – Teenage Dream

Lukas Graham – 7 Years

MKTO – Classic

Macklemore ft. Kesha – Good Old Days

OneRepublic – I Lived

Owl City – Fireflies

Rudimental ft. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen – These Days

Train – Hey, Soul Sister

brunette woman shot from behind facing a window, wearing headphones listening to music and holding them with her hands
Photo by Burst from Pexels

3. Sometimes a Good Beat is All You Need

Speaking personally, studying can become a challenge at times when your head is drowning in thoughts irrelative to a five-page paper or the study of physics. Sometimes there can too many things on a person’s to-do list and it can be overwhelming, anxiety-triggering, even. I have discovered the best way to clear my head is through easy-to-listen, acoustic songs. Luckily, there are several lofi hip hop or instrumental music streams/videos available on YouTube.com I recommend giving a listen when you get the chance. Here are a few more that can ease you, and help maintain a soothing headspace: 

ChilledCow 1 A.M Study Session ? – [lofi hip hop/chill beats]

Chillhop Music – Endless Sunday ? [Chillhop / instrumental beats]

Feardog – 3:30 p.m. ~ lofi hip hop mix [study/sleep/homework music]

Lounge Music – Cozy JAZZ – Warm Autumn JAZZ for Good Mood and Stress Relief

Silk Music  Deep House 24/7: Relaxing Music • Chill Study Music

The Jazz Hop Café  midnight aura. [lofi / jazzhop / chill mix]

Woman with headphones listening to music
Bruce Mars

4. Confidence is Key

There is no excuse to have at least one empowering song on hand. These are the tunes that will get you out of bed, taking a shower, and feeling good about it. At the very least, they can instill a little bit of confidence inside of all of us. 

Alessia Cara – Scars To Your Beautiful

Ariana Grande – Breathin’

Beyoncé – Run the World (Girls)

Cardi B – Bodak Yellow

Daya – Sit Still, Look Pretty

Demi Lovato – Confident

Fifth Harmony – That’s My Girl

Jennifer Lopez – Ain’t Your Mama

Lady Gaga – Born This Way

Lizzo – Good As Hell

Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass

Shawn Mendes – In My Blood

image of three friends watching the sunset
Photo by Simon Maage from Unsplash

5. When All Else Fails, a Throwback Won’t!

This last decade has been the biggest evolution for pop music, and also where positivity in songs was at an all-time high. These hits will always remain unbeatable and on a loop inside of any old iPod. 

Alicia Keys – Girl on Fire

Beyoncé – Irreplaceable

Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling

Charli XCX – Boom Clap

Flo Rida – Good Feeling

Gwen Stefani – Hollaback Girl

Katy Perry – Firework

Owl City, Carly Rae Jepsen – Good Time

P!nk – F**ckin’ Perfect

Rihanna – Diamonds

Selena Gomez & The Scene – Who Says

fun. ft. Janelle Monáe – We Are Young

Demi Lotz

Valdosta '24

VSU Freshman who loves writing, animals, and Italian food!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.