This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

My gym buddy and I were sitting in her car in the Fit4Less parking lot when she mentioned that her friend was doing 75 Hard. Um, what?

“It’s a 75-day program with strict rules about working out, eating healthy, reading, and drinking water,” she explained. We moved on to other subjects and eventually forced ourselves to go inside the gym. 

As somebody who is (maybe concerningly) obsessed with self-improvement, I was intrigued. Did I miss a health trend? I am a social media hermit, but still. I went home that night and started to learn more about 75 Hard.

My research began with Andy Frisella. Frisella’s professional bio screams, “intense.” According to his website, Frisella is an “entrepreneur, bestselling author, highly sought after consultant and public speaker.” He is a business expert, podcast owner, and… you guessed it, the creator of 75 Hard. I could taste the pre-workout by just looking at this man. 

The official 75 Hard website makes it very clear that this program is free, but what’s left unsaid is WTF 75 Hard actually entails. Frisella writes that it is “a transformative mental toughness program.” The page draws in participants by describing how their everyday mental and physical struggles are from a “lack of mental toughness & discipline” that 75 Hard will “permanently change.” Frisella describes his program as “the hardest thing you’ll ever do.” But what is it!? 

Since you have to sign up to get the details, I turned to an article from Today to discover what this program really is. Would you blindly sign up for “the hardest thing you’ll ever do?” Yeah, me neither. Today’s Terri Peters and Tracey Anne Duncan list the rules of the program:

1. Start over at day one if you disobey any rule. 
  2. Follow a diet of your choice, but make sure not to cheat or consume alcohol. 
  3. Drink 16 cups of water each day. 
  4. Do two 45-minute workouts, one indoor and one outdoor, per day.
  5. Daily required reading: 10 pages of a nonfiction book. 
  6. Track your progress with a daily picture. 

Okay, so now I see why “hard” is in the name. You may be thinking, who has the time for this? In all honesty, I struggle to go to the gym consistently, and I’m behind in most of my readings for school. However, Frisella knows that this program is inconvenient, and that’s the whole point! In the Today article, Frisella states, “one of the reasons that most people can’t get through life in an effective way is because the minute conditions are tough, they throw the towel in on their plan.” 

Personally, I’m not rushing to start this program, but I admire how it’s centred around self-discipline. Self-discipline is unarguably a crucial trait for self-improvement and there is nothing expensive, controversial, or superficial about it. Having self-discipline as a requirement is a breath of fresh air considering the nature of many health programs. 

Even if 75 Hard is an absolute “no” for you, I hope Frisella inspires you to reassess your habits and work on self-discipline. 

Resources:

https://andyfrisella.com/

https://andyfrisella.com/pages/75hard-info

https://www.today.com/health/what-75-hard-what-know-about-75-hard-challenge-t226289

Dahlia Cornell is a writer at the University of Windsor’s chapter of Her Campus. As a student who loves self-improvement, Dahlia enjoys crafting articles about trends, wellness, and academics. Her other areas of interest include local events and life experiences. Dahlia is in her third year at the University of Windsor, studying English Language and Literature. Dahlia aspires to further her studies after her English degree to have a career in education, writing, or law. No matter what career path she chooses, Dahlia is determined to incorporate creative writing into her future. She would love to write and publish a novel. Outside of school and Her Campus, Dahlia enjoys crocheting, watching Halloween movies, trying different coffee shops, and going on walks. She spends too much time curating her Pinterest boards and daydreaming about Victorian houses. Dahlia should spend more time trying to read the excessive amount of books she buys.