jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Mindfulness is defined as “a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations”. 

In the past year, mindfulness is something I’ve decided to try, and I would recommend it to anyone! The best part? Mindfulness can be done in any way you like; it’s a frame of thinking so it doesn’t require any equipment or expenses. All you need is a little time.

The goal of mindfulness is not to quiet the mind, but to pay attention to the present and withhold judgement…something most of us, myself included, could work on. With all the typical stress and social pressures of college life, it’s easy to get wrapped up in judgement. I, like many other college students, often get caught up in my thoughts. The aim of mindfulness is to be aware of our worries and to let them pass.

So the next thing to consider is how to be mindful. It can be done in a number of ways, but one of the most important things is to give yourself some time and space—it doesn’t have to be more than five minutes—to recognize your thoughts. The basic order of events is to observe the present moment, notice your judgements and worries, let them pass, and continue observing the present. Easier said than done, I know.

Because this is a mental practice, it is extremely useful to meditate while being mindful. Although meditation is in no way a requirement, it does help to focus the brain and make you more self aware. 

Other methods of being mindful include yoga, deep breathing, exercising, repeating mantras, and more. There are even apps made specifically for mindfulness, so just take a quick trip to the app store! It might take a little more effort to really get the hang of mindfulness, but that’s nothing a bit of searching on Pinterest can’t help. 

Now I have to admit, I’ve been a little lazy in practicing mindfulness. But in my experience, it has worked wonders. Don’t believe me? Here’s a nifty little explanation of one of the many benefits of being mindful: improved creativity. The end goal is a happier, more balanced life. Now doesn’t that sound nice?

Rachel is an English major and Graphic Design minor at UW-La Crosse, with a serious case of wanderlust. Her time is spent writing, drinking coffee, hiking, discussing Harry Potter, and being distracted by the sky.