This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Being a few months into the new year, most people set their goal is to stay in shape yet fall off the trail a few weeks after the beginning of the year. Something I am also very guilty of. I’m here to let you know about some ways I stay motivated to go to the gym throughout the year. Or, more commonly now, workout at home.

Plan what you’re going to do.

One of the most important things I do before going to the gym is making a workout plan that I am excited to do. Going into the gym with a set workout allows me to stay on track rather than going in, not knowing what to do. I’ll usually type my workout in the notes app of my phone, so it’s easy to access. 

Do what YOU like to do.

It’s important to cater your workouts to things you like to do. I am a horrible runner, can’t run for more than 5 minutes to save my life, but in order to add some cardio into my workout, I will do sprints. They are quick but still bring your heart rate up.

Bring a friend with you.

For those days where you really would just rather stay in bed, have a friend or sibling go with you so that you have something to look forward to. Going with someone is always going to be more fun, and you guys can experiment with workouts without being too afraid to try new things by yourself. But remember always to wear a mask!

Go at a time convenient for you.

After so many times trying to wake up early to workout, I have finally faced the fact that I am not an early riser, and this is okay. What works really well for me is going to work out at 7 p.m., when I am finished with work and studying for the day. So look at your daily schedule and find a time that works well for you, and if that time is 5 a.m. GO YOU!

In the end, even just going for a quick walk around the block when you have time or going to the gym for 30 minutes is still better than doing nothing.

Howdy! I'm Cassie and currently a senior studying Environmental Science getting little sleep throughout the semester. I love spending time with my dog, taking naps when I have time, and hiking the beautiful outdoors:)