This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

One of my New Years’ resolutions was to go to the gym more. To be honest, I didn’t have any specific fitness goals in mind, I just wanted to get more comfortable at the gym and establish a consistent routine. Like most of my past New Years’ resolutions, I wouldn’t be surprised if I give up on this one too. However, it’s been almost two months, and while I do have the occasional feelings of self-doubt or a lack of motivation, I’ve been pretty consistent for the most part. Here are some tips that have helped me along the way.

I would say the thing that made me the most nervous about going to the gym was being judged by other people. I think it’s very normal to worry about what other people think of us, and when you’re a beginner who has no idea what they’re doing, this fear is heightened. I honestly just have to remind myself that those thoughts are coming from a place of self-consciousness.

Trust me, everyone is too busy worrying about themselves to be worrying about you.

The next challenge I often face is staying motivated about going to the gym. In the past, I centered my fitness goals around a specific body type, and when I wasn’t seeing the changes I wanted, it was easy to think, “what’s the point in even trying?” Since then, I have learned that if you use body image as your only motivation to work out, then you’re creating an uphill battle for yourself. Of course, it’s great to have goals, but if they stem from a desire to look a certain way then you won’t be content for a long time and it’ll be easy to give up. That’s why my goal for this year was to simply be consistent with going to the gym. I want to focus on feeling mentally satisfied after every workout rather than relying on physical changes to motivate me.

we’re striving for progress, not perfection.

My last piece of advice is that patience is key. Take the time to find out what works for you. When I first started, I copied workouts straight off of TikTok, YouTube, and various sites. It was a great place to start, but over time, I found that I really loved some exercises, while others just weren’t for me. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make your own routine! It’s easy to feel like you have to follow exactly what the fitness gurus are saying on social media, but it’s also okay to just use them as guidance while you figure out what works for you.

remember, every body is different and you know yours best.

I hope some of this advice was helpful and gave you a little confidence boost! Just remember: everyone starts somewhere. Consistency is key and before you know it, you’ll be a pro!

Hello! My name is Natasha and I'm a Public Health major. I love to play volleyball, dance, and my favorite TV show is Criminal Minds. Like most of Gen Z, I am obsessed with astrology (cancer sun, leo moon, libra rising!).