stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Staying Healthy Even in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Staying healthy and fit doesn’t have to be something that requires a lot of time. There are a lot of quick and simple ways to maintain general health and fitness.

First of all, it’s important to be aware of how many calories you’re consuming. If you tend to skimp on meals, you may not be eating enough. Tracking calories may also be useful if you’re eating too much. It can help you make your meals more balanced. You’ll have more energy throughout the day. You can start to see where you get most of your calories. Are you drinking your calories? If so, switch to water, black coffee or tea. Are you getting enough fruits and veggies? If not, start eating some bananas (very filling) and grapefruits (boosts your metabolism).

When you find yourself with excessive free time and your assignments are done, take a trip to the Campus Rec Center. If you’re not used to exercising, just start with a brisk walk on the treadmill or try cycling. Don’t worry about the number of calories that you’re burning. Any exercise is good. Cardio is good for everyone, and we all need to get our hearts going. Everyone can benefit from 15 minutes of cardio a day. If you’re not able to do 15 minutes every day, that’s okay. Do what you can when you can. If you struggle with motivation, grab a friend and go to a workout class together.

I know that changing your diet is like breaking a habit, but it’s very possible. When you start to look at how many calories you’re consuming, you’ll have to decide if you want to eat more or less. If you need to consume more calories, make sure that you’re eating a hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don’t let any of your meals be just one small thing. You need something complex that your body can get a lot of energy from. If you need fewer calories, you don’t necessarily need to eat less during meals. You just need to think about what it is that you’re consuming. Switch out fried things for grilled or baked. Choose open-faced sandwiches or wraps to cut down on those bread calories. Be careful about random snacks throughout the day and try to eat your meals all at once.

Practicing portion control, starting basic exercise and eating balanced meals can put you on the right path to becoming more healthy. Once you master the basics, you can start focusing on the specifics for you. Just remember to talk to your doctor anytime you make changes like this. Don’t focus on your weight or BMI alone. Remember that everyone’s body reacts differently to changes in diet and exercise.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.