This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

My journey with food and fitness has been very interesting to say the very least. It’s a story that a lot of people know, though. 

When I was a child, I was the average child. I was far, far more interested in playing than I was eating. I ate very slowly because I talked so much. I was a tiny child. I had to get my BMI up before I could go to kindergarten because my doctor feared I’d get really sick (I did get sick). 

Obviously, I started to grow up a little, and I learned that I couldn’t exactly live without a certain amount of nutrients. My family is pretty healthy, so I was really lucky to grow up on drinking only water and eating my vegetables. I packed my lunch for school, and it was usually the same thing every day. 

When I got out of high school, I still wasn’t tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Eventually, I learned that I have dietary restrictions and that I’d developed some intolerances. That changed the way I ate a lot. It meant that I had to spend some time looking online at menus before I could go out to eat. 

Because of that, I started to become obsessed about exactly what I was eating. I’ve come to love the food I eat. Even though I have to be a little particular about what I eat, I truly love the action for the first time in my life. 

Throughout all of this, I’ve struggled some with my body image. I started counting calories, and it was okay for a while. When I started to lose weight, though, I became a little obsessed. Recently, I’ve started to prioritize food that is going to fill me up and give me the energy I need. 

Along with that, I treat myself. I bake myself goodies when I want them, and I go out for some really good ice cream with my friends. Learning about my food and why it’s good for me has been such an incredible experience. I heard my mom describe me as a “foodie” for the first time ever, and I’m honored. 

My fitness journey has actually included eating more, not less, but I’m learning to eat better things. I’m also learning about a very healthy outlook on food. I highly encourage you to look at your outlook on food and diet and make sure that you’re eating and thinking right. Food is the thing that keeps us alive. Let it make you happy!

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.